V5-171-6471 Losing Power Based on Screen Angle

First off, sorry if this is the wrong board. I wasn't sure if it belonged here or in legacy notebooks since it's an older model.

Anyways I've been having an issue with my Aspire V5-171-6471 where if I asjust the screen after powering it on, one of two catastrophic things takes place. If I adjust the screen just a little (<5 degrees roughly) the screen starts to malfunction such that the image freezes and becomes obstructed by blocks of random colors. If I adjust the angle of the display even more, this generally results in the entire machine losing power (power light goes off, fans/hdd stop spinning, etc.). Weirder still is that following this, moving the screen back into place can sometimes be enough to power the laptop back on without striking the power button to do so. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I intend to do the fix myself but haven't been able to diagnose what specific components are lending to this problem, as all connections near the display hinges seem to be secure and I don't want to just throw money at replacement parts that might not even be faulty.

The only other issues I've ever had with this laptop was that the original hard drive began to be unbootable and had to be replaced. I had thought that was an issue with the hard drive but within ~8 months the replacement (of a different brand) began having the exact same issue, so I feel like it's more likely an issue with the mobo or SATA connector slowly corrupting my drives. If it's the former, perhaps board's problems have propgating to the display connections now?

Thanks for any assistance and advice.