Acer Aspire One model AOD255 running Windows XP 32-bit

Options
Tangee
Tangee Member Posts: 4 New User

Greetings. I recently purchased this primarily as a road trip unit (larger screen than phones) It is used for email, facebook games, and Skype. It has worked fine for the last 6 months. But now it starts up...goes to the Windows XP screen, goes to the Starting windows screen, the welcome screen, and then to the desktop. It shows only the background image on desktop and no icons, buttons etc. After about two minutes it flashes a blue screen with the error STOP: C0000145 (Application error) The application failed to etc. I do not have a CDRom drive on it. There is only a USB flash drive. It has a product key sticker for Windows XP and I do have a Windows XP CD for the desktop unit we have at home. Help! This is about all I know about this little guy. 

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

instead of using CDs, have you tried to boot pressing ALT+F10 at boot?

this will start Acer erecovery process.

if this doesn't start, press F2 to enter BIOS and check if D2D option is enabled.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-update/stop-c0000145-application-error-the-application/f8196cfc-643c-47a6-9630-83a9769a371e

by the way i would re-install windows XP to be honest, since finding the correct update to delete will be a very long process (not that XP re-installation is a short time thing).

so, if you have the USB flash drive with XP key, plug it to your laptop, at boot press F12 and choose to boot from the USB flash drive and re-install.

please note that you will loose all your personal data.

if you need to recover personal data:

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    choose mini-xp from the options, once booted connect an externa USB HDD or USB flash drive and copy your files.

• Tangee
    Options

Thanks! It sounds like it will work! LOL. There is nothing kept on it...just for web etc. I don't have a USB with windows on it. Can I copy the CDROM I have to a USB on my regular laptop and it work ok to do all this on the tablet? 

• IronFly
    Options

Tangee wrote:

There is only a USB flash drive. It has a product key sticker for Windows XP and I do have a Windows XP CD for the desktop unit we have at home. Help! This is about all I know about this little guy. 

the USB flash drive you mentioned, isn't the bootable media?

about creating an USB bootable media with XP installation:

http://www.komku.org/2013/07/winsetupfromusb-simplest-way-to-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive.html

• Tangee
    Options

I can see everyone rolling their eyes! I feel like Penny asking Sheldon for help! The ACER did not come with any CDS or USBs. It has the sticker on the bottom with Windows XP and the product key. On the keyboard is the little Windows sticker and the Intel inside sticker. I have two CDS from my large Laptop that says Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Edition and a drivers and utilities CD. Using my large laptop, can I copy that to a USB stick and then use that on the ACER? Thank you so much for your patience with me!

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

instead of using CDs, have you tried to boot pressing ALT+F10 at boot?

this will start Acer erecovery process.

if this doesn't start, press F2 to enter BIOS and check if D2D option is enabled.

• Tangee
    Options

OMG!! THE ALT F10 WORKS!!  I am so excited to have this sucker going again....will spend DAYS on updates and downloads but at least we do have HS internet here. Thank you thank you thank you!! 

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy