Acer c740 consistently crashing after SSD Upgrade

macallik
macallik Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone,

I bought a ZTC NGFF M.2 SSD 64 GB for more storage in Ubuntu. After I install the Chrome OS, the computer sees that I have increased my storage just fine, but I have a slow download speed and consistent crashes. Sometimes the screen just locks up and stops responding, but most times, the screen goes completely black (although the blue light stays on). From there, I need to long press the Power button in order to reset the Chromebook.

I returned the SSD for a new one on Amazon but the new SSD is doing the exact same thing. If I revert to the stock SSD, all issues disappear. On Amazon, the SSD is quite popular with Acer Chromebooks (c720 version) and there have been no complaints about the issue I have been having so the chances of me getting back-to-back duds seems pretty low.

Any insights?

Best Answer

• macallik
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the response. I ended up buying a MyDigitalSSD instead of the ZTC and it appears to have done the trick. I used the Chrome Recovery app for each attempt. 

For the latest SSD, upon completing the ChromeOS install to the new SSD, there were two back-to-back firmware updates that had to take place before things were fully functional. (ie: download update at a slow speed, restart computer, download second update at a slow speed, update computer and then the internet speed was back to normal). I have a refurb Acer c740 so it might be a little more finnacky than the regular models. 

Answers

• Xenomorph
    Xenomorph Member Posts: 1 New User

How did you restore the system after replacing the SSD?

Did you just clone the old drive to new?

I *just* got the 128 GB ZTC SSD for my Acer C740.

1) Created Recovery USB

2) Swapped SSDs

3) Booted to Recovery and installed Chrome OS.

It's been running well for 2 days, now.

• macallik
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the response. I ended up buying a MyDigitalSSD instead of the ZTC and it appears to have done the trick. I used the Chrome Recovery app for each attempt. 

For the latest SSD, upon completing the ChromeOS install to the new SSD, there were two back-to-back firmware updates that had to take place before things were fully functional. (ie: download update at a slow speed, restart computer, download second update at a slow speed, update computer and then the internet speed was back to normal). I have a refurb Acer c740 so it might be a little more finnacky than the regular models.