Windows 10 and Z3731-UR21P ?

ZundapMan
ZundapMan Member Posts: 87 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

I'm not "taking the plunge" yet but I'm doing a "risk assessment" involving this machine.  Microsoft tells me I'm eligible for the upgrade.  I've been subscribing to "Driver Manager" for my entire fleet of Acer computer (I have 4) several of which are now truly ancient/obsolete, but still function under Win XP, Win Vista, and Win 7 (x64).  Obviously, I will do a complete system backup to my NAS before atttempting the upgrade, and can therefore "revert" using the CD and backup/restore software I also liscence.  This particular machine seems to be somewhat of an "early orphan" in the migration from Windows 7 with 32bit code to Windows 7 with 64 bit code, but it has remained in service and run well since 2010. 

What should I "look out for?"  Obviously, Win 10 is likely to be a RAM hog, and I will not consider trying it unless I can first successfully upgrade to the full 8gb address space the motherboard is supposed to support.  Right now I'm having compatabiliy "issues" with 2gb DIMM modules ordered specfically for this machine which prevent me from successfully making that upgrade.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Win10 is not so heavy but it has some basic requirements on supported CPU and VGA, so if your laptop is too old, the main problem are those.

The system requirements mentioned on the webpage are very basic, by the way the upgrade software will check if you meet the basic requirements or not.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

keep in mind to check if your hardware have windows 10 compatible drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ZundapMan

I'm now painfully aware the "reserve your copy" of Windows 10 option will background download the installation package to your computer using a tricky bandwidth sharing scheme developed by the folks that have been creating Bit-***** type bandwidth exploitation which in some environments can run up your internet bandwith charges without your knowledge by hosting parts of the package for others on your computer during the process.  For me, with a router telling me I get 100 mbps download and 18-20 mbps upload speeds, it is a relatively trivial concern, but If I were on a slow line like DSL or using a modem to connect to my ISP I'd be greatly concerned by the fact that they do not explain this feature of "reserving" a copy, up front before you go ahead and request it.

I'm holding off on my "reservation" until Win 10 pricing models for the "out years" are fully revealed.  Given the way that Microsoft has gone with Office pricing and distribution/maintenance with Office 360 and subsequent releases for "so much a year" if you set up a "Microsoft Account" looks suspiciously like a marketing transition to a full subscription model for operating and application software on their devices.

• ZundapMan
    Just to update this.  I broke down and upgraded to Windows 10 before Microsoft's deadline and have been successful for the most part with keeping my old Z3731 All-in-One up and running even though it is 10 years old!  There was a point in 2017, after a November "failed update" loop that Microsoft triggered in their efforts to make problems for Adobe Acrobat users that tripped me up.  I let the Microsoft web site completely refresh the Windows 10 operating system installation without realizing that it was going to wipe out links to "obsolete" software applications I had installed.  This ended up forcing me to reinstall and wrestle with licenses for a number of products I had purchased on-line and downloaded which had embedded product keys which got lost in the process.  Be very careful what "recovery" options you select if you get stuck!

I have replaced the 1TB hard drive on this unit three times!  It was apparently the "weakest link" in Acer's plan for this 64 bit processor unit which has a touch screen that is still well supported in Windows 10, a good audio stage, much better with external speakers though, and a Skype capable camera and microphone built in.  As windows 10 has evolved, booting this machine has gotten much faster than it used to be under the original Windows 7 (x64) operating system.