Windows 10 Not Compatibile with Aspire One Happy2?

leftypicker
leftypicker Member Posts: 2 New User

New here--my first post.

Microsoft says my Aspire One Happy2 netbook is not compatible with Win 10 because the Intel GMA 3150 will not support it.  Does anyone know if any efforts are being made by Acer or Intel to issue an updated driver and/or software patch that will enable me to run Win 10?

I am currently running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 2GB of RAM.  Runs OK, but a little sluggish.  Was hoping Win 10's improved efficiency would improve my netbook performance.  Note: I already understand that netbooks are very limited to begin with.  Just like mine for the things I use it for.

Thanks

Answers

• MikeTNT
    MikeTNT Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Have you already installed Win10? If so: Do you get a compatibility error before you install Win10?

Regarding the missing driver: I know another user with a Netbook with GMA 3150. As soon as he replied me, I let you know if he could find a win10 driver.

Edit: I received a feedback. The other user told me he use Win 10 pro 32bit. Win10 could find his own drivers.

As you use 64bit, I can't tell you for sure if you also will find the driver automatically.

• leftypicker
    leftypicker Member Posts: 2 New User

Have not yet installed Win 10.  Hoping to receive some definitive reply regarding any known efforts by Acer or Intel to correct the shortcoming Microsoft sees in my netbook.  Eventually, I will probably attempt an install and hope for the best.

• slick1
    slick1 Member Posts: 10 New User

I've got Win10 working on my Happy 2.

However I'm not using the AHCI option but the IDE option on the hard drive settings in BIOS.

I don't know if that matters or not.

When I try using AHCI it crashes.

Trying to fit an SSD at the moment... and not getting anywhere... probably because of the AHCI problem?

Anyone know what it takes to get AHCI working with Win10?

:-)

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Windows 10-32 bit Home is running nicely on my Aspire One 532h (does have 2GB RAM). Think this is a model of two before yours (Atom N450 that is 64 bit capable & came with Win 7 Starter). 

Do have a Desktop with an ATI/Radeon 3000 that needed a "legacy" graphics driver set to work properly & is running Win 10-64 now.

• slick1

Forgot to mention that I have 2GB memory in the machine. However I'm not sure if that's necessary... as it seemed to be willing to upgrade to Win10 even before the memory upgrade.

Cost $14 for the memory (Hynix 1333 DDR3 1.5V with 8 chips on the SODIMM).

This machine is amazingly fussy about memory... as I tried a number of different sticks of DDR3 before finally finding one that did work.

Win10 is 32 bit. Not sure why? It's a 64 bit machine isn't it?

I also have an Acer eMachines 355 which is a much older single core version of the Happy2 and that also runs Win10 perfectly. In that machine the SSD is working perfectly and makes the whole machine MUCH faster.

It also has 2GB RAM.

The SSD and RAM speed up the Win10 upgrade dramatically.

Managed to clone the drive and install an SSD using Acronis.

Used the desktop: disconnected the two internal drives and connected the two 2.5" drives instead (via SATA)

Booted the software off a CD

You can load a copy program off your boot drive and try to copy that way... but you can boot the wrong drive, the drive letters can sometimes change, etc... It's safer to use a CD.

Also tried copying the drive via the disk copy minitool via a USB to SATA adaptor... but that failed all 4 times I tried it.

Also took the opportunity to update the BIOS on the Happy2. The BIOS notes do say it improves compatibility so it's worth doing:

I was hoping the BIOS update might make the netbook work with AHCI... but it made no difference.

Watch out though... as flashing the BIOS switches the drive from IDE to AHCI. This makes it crash (until you switch it back).

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

True, Win 10 can run 1GB of memory but since the base install can use up to 1.5GB, it will do a lot of page swapping and you will not be happy. 2GB is the effective minimum and 4GB is better.

Windows 10 is an upgrade so if you have a 32 bit version installed it will update to the same even if capable of 64 (my Aspire One 532h is currently dual boot: Win 7-64 and Win 10-32).

ps I pull both a recoovery flash and system image before upgrading and after it is stable. Anyone who doesn't is just asking for trouble.

pps you need a specific flash for each OS but can store many system images on a 1 TB drive. 

• MikeTNT
    MikeTNT Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

@slick1

Have you already tried a clean install of Win10 on your Happy 2?

(-> Activate AHCI in your BIOS, after that install Win10 from a bootable usb stick)

My Acer Once D257 uses the same BIOS and nearly the same hardware and I have no problem with AHCI.

Additional note: When you clone a harddrive to your SSD and afterwards you enable AHCI, you have to make several system changes! Use google to find out the right steps before you can enable AHCI in the BIOS.

• slick1

This AHCI solution worked:

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/15006-attn-ssd-owners-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html

1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
    2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup.
    4. Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
    5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
    6. Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options.
    7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.

Watch the curly brackets!!! They're easy to miss if you're not paying attention!

• NVSteve
    NVSteve Member Posts: 21 Networker

I have Aspire One 532h w/2gb. Hoping to do a Clean Install of Windows 10. Glad to see your system will run Win10. Any caveates before I try the install?  If it doesn't work, how do I go back to Win7 Starter? Thanks.

• NVSteve

P.S. The Windows 10 compatibility list includes model Aspire E1-532.  Is this the same as the Aspire One 532h I have??

• slick1

These models are all very similar... so there's no reason to suppose you won't be able to get them to work?

It's not unusual to be unable to find if your particular computer will work under Win10.

Of all the upgrades I've done (lots) this one was one of the easiest.

The AHCI issue is a common problem with many laptops and I've run into it before with WinXP and Win7 (at least).

It's annoying but not fatal.

• slick1

It's unlikely you will have to go back to Win7.

• NVSteve

Thanks for the reply. Since I don't even know much about AHCI and currently don't use an external drive, should I assume that the hard drive built into the unit will work fine?

In the future, the only external drive I might use with this netbook would be a USB DVD-ROM or USB Backup Hard Drive, so may I assume those would be ok too?

Thanks again.

• slick1

The AHCI is an issue for the internal drive... not the external ones. USB's and external drives work fine.

If you do the install on the original drive you are unlikely to run into the problem. 

You only run into the problem if the driver is missing or you accidentally switch into IDE mode (like when doing a BIOS update).

I probably only ran into the problem because I changed the drive for an SSD.

If you wait till after the upgrade to do the SSD upgrade you are less likely to run into the problem?