Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Gateway Seagate drive issue?

akedwaakedwa Posts: 4Member

Our Gateway PC is slowing to a crawl. We see 100% disk usage,  but nothing in particular is accessing the disk.  After researching that certain Windows 8.1 Services can cause the issue, I disabled Windows Update, Windows Search and Superfetch which has helped to keep the PC from entirely freezing as was the previous behavior.

I ran Seagate tools and the Smart test passed but a few other things failed.  The drive is 1tb and usually comes with a fairly long warranty.  Is the drive covered if it's the issue?  I am not 100% certain the drive is the issue but I should also add that on some reboots I receive an error that the boot drive can't be found, after a power down or two, it finds the drive.

Gateway SX2865-UR26  Purchased: 11/2013

Appreciate your advice.

FAQ & Answers

• laurent_14laurent_14 Posts: 7,491ACE Pathfinder

Hello,

Did you delete the IE temporary files?

• akedwaakedwa Posts: 4Member

Yes, actually refreshed the windows install too and the problem returned.

• laurent_14laurent_14 Posts: 7,491ACE Pathfinder

Hello,

You wrote "I ran Seagate tools and the Smart test passed but a few other things failed".

I would check your new HDD with SeaTools for DOS. You'll be sure that's an HDD issue.

You'll find my procedure on this topic.

Thanks for the reply.  The Short and Long testing failed on Seatools for Windows.  I was going to create a USB but I downloaded HD Tune and the failed 3 different items with a suggestion to replace the disk.

• Hello,

HD Tune only works under Windows. Try SeaTools for Dos (out of Windows).

Just wanted to follow-up that after running the Seagate Tools for Windows and HD Tune Pro for Windows that I accepted that the drive was bad.  I was able to reset the drive to the factory image, but I was never able to create the recovery disk/usb. I ended up installing a new drive (same model), built it out and using it successfully.  I still have the original drive.