Gateway Seagate drive issue?

akedwa
akedwa Member Posts: 4 New User

Our Gateway PC is slowing to a crawl. We see 100% disk usage,  but nothing in particular is accessing the disk.  After researching that certain Windows 8.1 Services can cause the issue, I disabled Windows Update, Windows Search and Superfetch which has helped to keep the PC from entirely freezing as was the previous behavior.

I ran Seagate tools and the Smart test passed but a few other things failed.  The drive is 1tb and usually comes with a fairly long warranty.  Is the drive covered if it's the issue?  I am not 100% certain the drive is the issue but I should also add that on some reboots I receive an error that the boot drive can't be found, after a power down or two, it finds the drive.

Gateway SX2865-UR26  Purchased: 11/2013

Appreciate your advice.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer

Hello,

Did you delete the IE temporary files?

France
  • akedwa

Yes, actually refreshed the windows install too and the problem returned.

• laurent_14

Hello,

You wrote "I ran Seagate tools and the Smart test passed but a few other things failed".

I would check your new HDD with SeaTools for DOS. You'll be sure that's an HDD issue.

You'll find my procedure on this topic.

France
  • akedwa

Thanks for the reply.  The Short and Long testing failed on Seatools for Windows.  I was going to create a USB but I downloaded HD Tune and the failed 3 different items with a suggestion to replace the disk.

• laurent_14

Hello,

HD Tune only works under Windows. Try SeaTools for Dos (out of Windows).

France
  • akedwa

Just wanted to follow-up that after running the Seagate Tools for Windows and HD Tune Pro for Windows that I accepted that the drive was bad.  I was able to reset the drive to the factory image, but I was never able to create the recovery disk/usb. I ended up installing a new drive (same model), built it out and using it successfully.  I still have the original drive.