Elan touchpad not working in Windows 10 - Aspire ES1-711-P14W

2»

Answers

• M-G
    M-G Member Posts: 2 New User

Foxxo could you provide a list of the steps required to roll back a driver like the ELAN one?

Many thanks -M-G

• jamescpu94
    jamescpu94 Member Posts: 2 New User

u need to download the patch for your bios and try to set the toucpad in the bios to "basic" it work for me...if you are looking for the bios patch  u need check it in drivers and manual enter the model of your laptop and click bios..

look for win 8.1 touchpad or keyboard fixed

• jamescpu94
    jamescpu94 Member Posts: 2 New User

download the patch for your bios from the drivers and manuals, the patch it.

after that GO to BIOS>look for TOUCHPAD> set it To basic..

i wonder why the image i tried to attached is not showing up

• skdaros
    skdaros Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello

I have the same problem...my scroll doesn't work (vertical either horizontal).

• Ruban94
    Ruban94 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire ES1-711-P14W and have build 10240 of Windows 10 and the Elantech touchpad does not function in 10, This is not a hardware issue because it functions fine in Windows 8.1. I have tried the drivers from acer, looked in the bios for anthing mouse related. It does not show up in the device manager, when I unplug my Logitech mouse the "Mouse and Other Pointing Devices" tab dissapeares. It looks like Windows 10 is not even loading a generic driver. When I unplug my external mouse the cursor dissapeares as well.

I had the same problem after a year of upgrading my Acer One 14 from windows 7 to windows 10. I did not use my laptop for some time and then noticed the Symantec/Elan touchpad not working after a recent windows update I made. Noticed only can be used via connecting external mouse to use. Tried searching the web for solution however nothing works either. At least you can this this method : Uninstall currently installed Symantec touchpad software > disable the software from Additional mouse setting > download and install the latest windows update and restart your computer. But wait ! its not installed yet. You need to check again the windows update app : it will show latest available Symantec software downloaded by windows, however it needs to be installed separately after the update. Click to install, restart again and you're done. Last step if still not working > Press FN+F6 to enable touchpad. Its all done.. At least this works for me permanently. :+1:
  • NHS_Andy
    NHS_Andy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Evening All,

Just a quick message with a solution to this quirky issue, came across this one today, see some of you have mixed results/issues.

Background:

I recently upgraded my in-laws laptop with an SSD, Clean install of Windows 10 and the touchpad failed to work, even with the latest drivers installed after download from ACER Site, it downloads x86 and x64 drivers.

Note: I did find it odd that the Touchpad was not recognised at Boot from Windows 10 USB Install Media! So I had to either TAB through the Install process or connect and External USB mouse which worked fine, 

The solution:

Cold Boot (From powered off) Open BIOS (Using Function Key) , Change Mouse settings from "Advanced" to "Basic" in the BIOS - all working fine now, using the device to write this and download other software, the option is very obvious as the BIOS has limited options.

The touchpad worked fine afterwards, even with Gestures/Single Finger/Double Finger tap options.

It would also be worth ensuring that the driver for the FN Keys is installed, this way you can also turn the Touchpad OFF/ON if required, the software from ELAN also gives options in there to set the built in touchpad from auto disabling when an external mouse is plugged in - which is worth keeping in mind if you are troubleshooting this one.

Side Note

I have also noted previous comments RE: BIOS - No requirement for update as far as I am aware, although updating the BIOS is never ideal and should always be a last option. These days the software protects you more than it used to 10 years ago! You cannot do the update without Power connected and it is all automated - as long as you have the right BIOS revision for your device you cannot really go wrong with this.

Hope this helps!

Andy Chambers - IT Engineer of 16 Years.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021

I have an Aspire ES1-711-P14W and have build 10240 of Windows 10 and the Elantech touchpad does not function in 10, This is not a hardware issue because it functions fine in Windows 8.1. I have tried the drivers from acer, looked in the bios for anthing mouse related. It does not show up in the device manager, when I unplug my Logitech mouse the "Mouse and Other Pointing Devices" tab dissapeares. It looks like Windows 10 is not even loading a generic driver. When I unplug my external mouse the cursor dissapeares as well.

Check all cables connecting to the mobo and if they are connected properly? As it could be that your touchpad is faulty and needs to be replaced, all touchpads work in Win-10 there is no such thing as an even 10 year old touchpad not working or their drivers not working in Win-10. I've had this problem with an old Aspire 5750 and it was the touchpad that was physically not working, don't blame Win-10! 

• LewistonPawn
    LewistonPawn Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same issue. I redownloaded the I/O Driver from the acer support site and it started working again. Hope this helps