HELP, I feel like I'm being cheated by some at Acer Gateway (Warranty Repair/Liquid Damage Fee)

WaliAbro
WaliAbro Member Posts: 2 New User

I just don't know what to say. I'm completely sunk. I've attached my warranty repair problem description, my email correspondence with Acer Gateway, and a phone call conversation I had with a Corporate Customer Care representative. I mean, 200 USD is still a lot for an issue like a DC power jack, dammit! The rusting (if it even IS rusting) is benign. I mean, just LOOK at the pictures - there's "rust" on the white part. THAT DOESN'T EVEN RUST. (... Does it?) As I stated in my email, and even in my conversation with a technician at the Acer service center when I was dropping the laptop off there, I was drinking thick French Vanilla, choked, and sprayed a bit out. The technician there even said, "No, that should be fine. It's only an issue if you spilled, let's say, an entire glass right onto the keyboard or something." Do you have ANY idea how little aqua and oxygen (essential for rusting) is in viscuous liquids? Not much. And the fact that there's "rust" on the white part is kind of telling that it ISN'T rust - not completely, anyway. That's my French Vanilla! It can be cleaned with a little isopropyl alcohol and a cloth! Even if it WAS rusting, it's clearly insignificant. Just look at the pictures and decide for yourself. Why is the top of the motherboard rusting in areas far from any capacitors/resistors/imbedded circuits? And that too, LIKE THAT? It simply doesn't happen like that - not in any case I've seen. By extension, you can conclude that the same hardended/dried French Vanilla in those areas is what is near/on top of one of the capacitors (or whatever it is). By the way, the second image is a closer look of the first. And after listening to the phone call, look at the third picture. It can easily be perceived to be even more "pushed" in because the cover case had been lifted, leaving the jack free to move around.

[edited to comply with guidelines - email correspondence removed]

As you can see, I did suggest legal action and publcizing it, but do understand this was rather reactionary - and I had to do something to show something that I will not just stand there and be taken advantaged of. And this was by no means empty talk - IF there is any way I can, I surely would take legal action. But I'm just not sure if there really is any. As for the publicizing of it on social media - it takes work, but I think I'll do it if I'm annoyed enough; which I pretty much already am.

[edited to comply with guidelines - unauthorized recording removed]

Yes, I know I had gotten a bit rude/snappy because of just how much I was fuming, as shown by my extended bouts of silence and raised voice. And sorry in advance about my annoying voice. *gulp*

Problem description:

The adapter/charging pin (in the laptop, not the charger) is damaged. Thus, it is extremely difficult to maintain the device in a charging state. This problem has existed since unpacking of device (i.e. since Day One). At first, it seemed as if the charging plug was simply of poor quality, and that this was a problem one would have to live with - later, it became apparent that the charging pin inside the charging port was actually broken and loose. Also, this may or may not be the source for many annoying, random "beeps" made by the system.
Furthermore, despite having four processing cores, only one core seems to be utilized - and that, too, up to 100%, without much, if any, processing work being transferred onto other cores (even in "High Performance" state). This has seriously affected computer stability and speed/utility.
The NVIDIA Geforce 840M graphics card does not seem to kick in during times of high graphics utilization/processing, especially games and HD movies.
The pointing device/trackpad occasionally stops working, and a full reset is required. More frequently than that, input response becomes slow and/or buggy/erratic.
Lastly, there are some minor cosmetic scratches on the top of the casing of the notebook behind the LCD screen.

Okay, so, in the above description, the technician actually ignored everything after "random "beeps" made by the system" when reissuing me a Case ID, because my earlier one had expired. Also, all those problems about the cores and GPU are SECONDARY - the DC power jack is what is PRIMARILY the issue. And the coffee "spilling" incident came MUCH, MUCH, MUUUUUUCH after it - this, you have to take my word on.

Somebody, please help. The CAD 650 (USD 500) was already too much for me, personally, to dish out - I just simply can't do another CAD 260 (USD 200). I'm just barely making it on financial assistance and the minimum wage job I have.

EDIT: APPARENTLY, since I was violating community rules by posting the email correspondence and phone call conversation (which I usually do for unknown numbers), I shall hereby post the contents of what *I* said in the email to Acer, after they said they had recieved and tested my product, and that my warranty does not cover "Customer induced damages - CID Liquid Spill". They said a tech found the DC pin pushed inside ("broken") and also "noticed liquid spill on motherboard". They said that I would need a new motherboard and DC pin jack - only the latter of which I agreed with. They said that before they can continue work on it, it was necessary for me to provide Acer with repair payment of USD 309 plus taxes. They ended by saying I had three business days (i.e. till 29th July, 2015) to decide, or else my product would be returned unrepaired. I responded with the text below:

"Hello,

With all due respect, you are mistaken in your assessment. This was a much later "damage" - all the issues I have told you about were there from day one. I was drinking some rather thick coffee and choked, inducing me to SPRAY (NOT douse) SOME onto the laptop. My laptop RUNS perfectly fine, save for the issues I have presented in my repair request - which have absolutely NOTHING to do with spillage. The only issue from the coffee spray was sticky keys (only some keys, because what little DID reach the laptop had mostly touched the screen), for which I carefully used WD-40, which is NOT harmful to electronic parts and components. Perhaps you had mistaken the WD-40 for water/aqueous liquid? Please check again.

Furthermore, nowhere in the photos you have provided can I findproof/evidence of water damage that was actually significant enough to affect ANYTHING. A simple brushing off of the rust, and application of an anti-oxidizer would be more than sufficient. Any alteration, addition, or removal of the photos provided - or any change in status of the degree of oxidation (except if cleaned by brushing off, and application of an anti-oxidizer) of capacitors, resistors, or any other electrical component of the motherboard as from what can clearly be seen in the pictures NOW, especially by negligence and/or excessive continued direct exposure to moist air - could compel me to take legal action. It may also compel me to take to social media because I KNOW, for a fact, that whatever oxidation you are observing did NOT, in fact, damage/harm ANYTHING. If you are unable to see this, it would reflect rather poorly on Acer's technical expertise.

Hence, kindly stop trying to harass me into coughing up money, and duly repair my product (except for the oxidized parts - which may have very well been like that when I RECEIVED my product, because the charging pin was also broken when I received it). I am - please excuse my frank language here - not stupid.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused, and hope you understand. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Wali."

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

Lastly, in the six-minute phone call - which came in response to the email - they basically said they did not agree with my email, and they'd offer to fix it for USD 200 for "customer satisfaction", and she went on to state the price of the motherboard, etc. Then, she pretty much went on to call me a liar about how the DC pin jack could not have come like that out of the box (which it did) - to which I kinda snapped. She said I could have sent it to the retailer to fix immediately, but I said I couldn't because I'm an engineering student and needed it for a variety of things at all times - especially programming. At one point, she sighed and gave me an ultimatum: would I take the "offer", or not?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Issue(184040)-Photo(1).jpg

Issue(184040)-Photo(3).jpg

Issue(184040)-Photo(2).jpg

Answers

• jabbermacy
    jabbermacy Member Posts: 5 New User

If you have no evidence tha this damage was NOT in the 'new, unboxed' condition, you should suck it up and PAY. IMHO, it's your damage from liquid, not ACER's fault. 

Step 1:  buy an ACER machine

Step 2:  take unpacking video and photos (hi rez, date stamped) of all exterior and accessories

Step 3: disassemble JUST to the point of warranty allowed and again, take hi rez pictures (date stamped), all parts

Step 4: note ANY irregualrities BEFORE your 30 day return policy

Step 5: RISK ASSESSMENT based on above

Step 6: SEND IT BACK if you cannot accept the risk

Step 7: STRESS TEST on day #2 for 24-48 hours

Step 8: PASS = OK, NO PASS = SEND IT BACK

Step 9: wait for new product

Step 10: PRAY

• WaliAbro
    WaliAbro Member Posts: 2 New User

Why should I have to jump through so many hoops, and stress myself for something I paid hundreds of dollars for - and that too, for a branded product that's supposed to guarantee defects of this nature? I honestly don't think you read my post in its entirety.

I MIGHT have pictures of the broken DC plug pin lying around somewhere in my phone; but even if I don't, that's a $30 repair job, which I would willingly pay. My problem is their insistence that the entire motherboard is damaged, unusable, and in need of replacement for a whopping US$ 200 (which is a big favour for me, apparently - down from US$ 310... I really don't care, I shouldn't be subjected to this at all in the first place). I DON'T EVEN WANT IT TO BE REPLACED. I like the old motherboard JUST THE WAY IT IS. IT'S FINE. I gave it to Acer to fix the DC plug! And the "damage" from the liquid is NEGLIGIBLE - even the person at the Acer service center said a small amount of liquid spill is FINE, and that's AFTER I described to him MYSELF the French Vanilla incident.