Aspire X3200 Upgrade Path

Angoid
Angoid Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi all,

I have an Acer Aspire X3200, first ten characters of the serial number are 983FM7ZUCP.

Low profile case

AMD Phenom 8450 triple-core processor, 2.1GHz

MoBo WMCP78M

3GB memory installed

When I first purchased it, it had 32-bit Windows Vista on it.

Then Microsoft released Windows 8 (32-bit) for £25, so I upgraded

I then got 8.1 32-bit for free.

Now I have registered my interest in Windows 10, but I've read that there are a small number of processors that are not compatible, especially for the preview version.

Question 1: Is there any chance that my system could be amongst that small number?

Question 2: Am I right in thinking that the maximum memory is 4GB, or is that only being reported to me because I'm running 32-bit Windows?  There was one site that told me I could go to 8GB.

Another other thing I'm wanting to do is upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit when the time comes.  Now I completely understand that this is a fresh install, but ...

Question 3: Would this be possible?  Would I have to go to Windows 10 32-bit and then "re-upgrade" to 64-bit?

Lastly, I'm considering an SSD but would like to keep the original HD (640GB) as well, so the OS resides on the SSD and the data on the HD.  It looks like this is electrically feasible but phyisically not due to the small case.  So...

Question 4: Can someone provide some input on that score also please?

Many thanks, and sorry for asking so many questions in one go!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Would it work to get a PCIe SATA card and a SATA power splitter cable?

yes, i think you can do it but you will need a PCIe SATA card that will supported by Windows 10 drivers or by manufacter.

About x86 to x64, the product key is not specific to one version or other; so you can install windows 7 x64 and do all your upgrades to windows 10 x64 but if you want a clean window 10 install, the Microsoft way is the correct one.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• Angoid
    Angoid Member Posts: 11 New User

OK, TBH a bit disappointing that there has been no response to this, but I've asked about Windows in the Microsoft forums and to pass the information along here, to change architectures (not Aspire-specific, but generally) you'd need to do the following (after having ascertained that your system will be capable):

1) Upgrade from Windows 7 (32-bit) or 8.1 (32-bit) to Windows 10 (32-bit), like-for-like (i.e. Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home otherwise you break the licencing agreement)

2) Activate your 32-bit copy of Windows 10 once installed and running (very important it seems)

3) Download the ISO for 64-bit Windows 10, and then install that.  Again, like-for-like.  Presumably this will need activating also once up and running.

4) Get everything up to date and the way you want it

Clearly, you'd need to make sure your drivers and software will work on your new OS ahead of doing this.

Hope that helps someone, anyway!

It seems as though my Aspire X3200 has two SATA connectors: two power connectors and two data connectors.  One is used for the existing HDD and the other for the optical drive.

Soooooo ....

To change the question, here is what I'm thinking now:

a) Insert the PCIe SATA card, and connect the existing HDD (data) to it

b) Plug in a SATA power splitter cable to the power connector used by the HDD and connect to the HDD and to the SSD

c) Connect a data cable from the SATA data port currently being used by the HDD to the SSD

Would that work?

I don't want to lose the HDD; it's a 640GB unit with plenty of space free and performs well.  It's just that if I want to upgrade without buying a new computer this might be a way to do it.

Also, I'm not a gamer so please don't start telling me to upgrade so I can play WoW, Assassins Creed, etc, etc.  the only thing I do have is flight simulation software.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

yes, i think you can do it but you will need a PCIe SATA card that will supported by Windows 10 drivers or by manufacter.

About x86 to x64, the product key is not specific to one version or other; so you can install windows 7 x64 and do all your upgrades to windows 10 x64 but if you want a clean window 10 install, the Microsoft way is the correct one.

I'm not an Acer employee.