My laptop will not boot up

Options
angyboyd
angyboyd Member Posts: 2 New User

Yesterday when I was just browesing the web my laptop suddenly disaplayed an error screen and it said it was fixing the problem. After that my laptop restarted and while it was booting up I got a message saying "Windows Boot Manager boot failed" This message is displayed in a blue box with a black screen in the background. If I hit enter to that message it brings up another message saying "No Bootable Device, Hit any key." When I do that it brings me to a menu system called the "Boot Manager". There is only one option to select and this is called the "Windows Boot Manager". When I select that option it just brings me back to the first message "Windows Boot Manager boot failed". I read that I might have to reset my BIOS. To do this I need to press the F2 key when the acer logo appears on boot up so that I can get to the "BIOS Setup Utility" menu. The problem is that when I press F2 I get the message "Enter Current Password". The problem with this is that I have never had a password set on my laptop so I dont know what the password required is. 

My laptop is an Acer Aspire E1-571 if that helps. 

If anyone can help with this problem it would be a great help and I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

try this:
    at boot press ALT+F10 or after entering your password to login, keep pressing Shift key, this will start Acer/windows recovery.
    From the Recovery screen

Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair.

If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Once the command completes, restart the computer.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • angyboyd
    angyboyd Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I could really try is the ALT+F10 option but unfortunatily it does not work for me as I am not brought to the recovery screen. When I press ALT+F10 keys when I see the Acer logo nothing happens. The laptop carries on as if I had never pressed those keys. 

Any other ideas?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I think either your hard drive is corrupt/failing or you have a virus. 

Do you have Windows 8.1?  Or do you have Windows 7?

Did you make a USB recovery drive or recovery DVDs, repair disc?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

you need to burn the downloaded iso file to an USB or DVD bootable media

Note: You need to check the computer manual on how to set CD/DVD or USB drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

then follow instruction on my previous post.