Acer Aspire Easystore HDD Fail - replace/upgrade HDD

Bhrudwo
Bhrudwo Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a Acer Aspire Easystore, and have recently suffered a hard drive fail, and am having no luck finding a hdd compatibility list of any kind.

Currently 1TB drives and since 1 has failed, I have copied all data onto a single 3TB drive, so i am prepared to replace all drives with either 2TB or 3TB drives and start a new raid 6 (5+1, i think).

Can you help?

P/N:   ES.TR100.270IE

Everything i see says the SNID needs to be 11 or 12 numbers, but mine is only 8

it is ***

Please help

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

This are the official Acer replacement but they are old HDD, since the list was made when your Easystore was available on the market:

HDD SEAGATE 3.5" 7200RPM
    HDD 1TB SGT ST31000333AS
    1000GB ST31000333AS BRINKS
    7.2KR
    SATA II LF F/WSmiley FrustratedD45
    KH.01K01.005

HDD SEAGATE 3.5" 7200RPM
    HDD 640GB 3.5" SGT
    640GB ST3640623AS BRINKS
    ST3640623AS
    SATA II 16MB LF F/WSmiley FrustratedD43
    KH.64001.001

in my opinion a good replacement can be the new WD Red NAS models (i don't know if they will work on your Easystore):
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Easy enough, if you have 4 1TB drives in yours, you only need to match rotation speed, cache size, capacity and bus speed. The Easystore (IIRC) supports SATA II for the bus, so any 3Gb/sec would match, and most 6Gb/sec will fall back to 3Gb/sec when connected to a SATA II interface. Most 1TB drives of the era are 32MB or 64MB cache. Most 1TB drives of the era are 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM. Just take a look at the model number on yours, Google it to get the specs and then purchase a reasonably close alternative. The only thing that could cause a problem would be placing a drive in that smaller than the existing drives, larger works but wastes the extra space.

If I'm wrong on the interface speed, it could be SATA I (or even the earlier SATA/300) just look for a matching drive. SATA/300 will likely pout you into the used market, SATA i means you might have to use jumpers to force speed slower to match.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bhrudwo

Thanks for that.

Not looking at replacing with like for like, but i want to upgrade drives (all 4) to 2Tb or 3Tb.  I had been told that not all drives are compatible with NAS's, so to see if there was a compatibility list from acer as to what drives would work in the NAS.

Thanks for the SATA tip.  I will have a look at the drives and see if they are SATA I or II, and i think i might just buy 4 2/3Tb drives that will fall back to the SATA level (or get 4 at that level).

Is there a list of drives that will work in it available?

i found one a few years ago when i looked at upgrading drives, but didnt go ahead as the current drives were working.  Now that one has stopped, I want to upgrade, but cant find the list.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

This are the official Acer replacement but they are old HDD, since the list was made when your Easystore was available on the market:

HDD SEAGATE 3.5" 7200RPM
    HDD 1TB SGT ST31000333AS
    1000GB ST31000333AS BRINKS
    7.2KR
    SATA II LF F/WSmiley FrustratedD45
    KH.01K01.005

HDD SEAGATE 3.5" 7200RPM
    HDD 640GB 3.5" SGT
    640GB ST3640623AS BRINKS
    ST3640623AS
    SATA II 16MB LF F/WSmiley FrustratedD43
    KH.64001.001

in my opinion a good replacement can be the new WD Red NAS models (i don't know if they will work on your Easystore):
  • Bhrudwo

Thanks for that.  That is the kind of information i was looking for.

I was thinking i would just get the WD Red, 2Tb drives and see how they went, if i couldnt get answer.

Thanks again.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy