Keyboard

Options
Negrita
Negrita Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi everybody I have an Acer s7 392

After more than 30 years in computers I finally spilt water on a keyboard – and it had to be on the very expensive Acer S7!

I took it apart and the keyboards knackered; when it boots to win 8 login the password box fills with random characters so I can’t login:

I could try to fit a replacement but I have two problems with that:

1. Although I haven’t checked I expect a replacement will cost a fortune.
  2. When I got to extract the keyboard it appeared that I had been sold a refurbished machine because the extremely small screws were damaged meaning it was impossible to get the keyboard out.

So I have disabled the keyboard and am using a USB external keyboard.

All works OK except for the following:

1. It does not auto switch on when I open the lid (It’s no big problem but I wonder if it’s connected with point 2).
  2. I have reset the battery and now it shows 0% charging but the icon shows charging for maybe 5 seconds then stops. Clearly, it’s not charging because if I remove the charger the computer shuts down.

Point number 2 is more important since it make the Acer into a very expensive desktop.

Anyone have any SENSIBLE ideas as to why it’s not charging?

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

From your description, I would suspect it is still wet.

I have done this myself (more than once) and can tell you that it can take days to dry out and that's with the keyboard removed and left in an airing cupboard. The keyboard is fixed by a total of 53 screws!

You may be lucky if you spilt plain water but, if the liquid contained sugar (Cola etc) it may be game over. If you do require a replacement keyboard then I would look on eBay.

I would be inclined to strip the unit down so you can be absolutely sure there is no water still present. Remove the battery and check that no water has got in anywhere. If in doubt, place that in a warm place for a couple of days too.

Examine the circuit board around the power input and look for any sign of shorts (soot, carbon etc). Clean off as necessary. If you have a test meter, check for expected voltage as far as you can. Also check that power is arriving at the battery connector.

Once you are sure it is all thoroughly dry, reassemble and hope for the best!

• Negrita
    Negrita Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Thanks for your feed back. The computer was immersed in rice for 3 days - no change. It was then taken apart unfortunately when I got to the keyboard I could not remove it since some of the very tiny screw heads were damaged and would not unscrew. It has been 3 weeks now and the average daily temperature in Spain where I am at the moment is around 33C so I would have thought that any residual moisture would have evaporated by now but if i reconnect the keyboard the problem persists. What I find odd is that the backlights all work perfectly. I am resigned to losing the units keyboard but would really like to address the charging issue. The light comes on and the icon says 0% plugged in charging BUT it clearly is not as if I remove the charger the machine switches off.