V3-772G-5413 Won't recognize 2x4gb ram sticks

joshuazh
joshuazh Member Posts: 6 New User

Basically, the 8gb I added on is listed as "hardware reserved" in task manager/system information/ wherever. The BIOS recognizes the full 16gb of ram installed, but the windows is only letting me use 8gb of the 16gb.

Screenshots here:

http://i.gyazo.com/25bf236f2cb4120c1e2a846f64cd01a7.png

http://i.gyazo.com/cb79e8648dc46526c649680e9a5cc289.png

I called up Acer support, and it turns out that only two slots out of the four slots in my laptop can only be used simultaneously? Can someone give me confirmation on that? Because that seems really weird, considering the fact that two slots were filled when the computer came and the other two slots were free for upgrades, but then they tell me that only two slots can be used at once. However, the BIOS does recognize the ram in all of the slots and lists all 16gb as recognized.

I've swapped all the ram around and done many things to try to make it work. All of the slots work and boot up, all of the sticks of ram work, but when I use more than two sticks the additional ram is listed as "hardware reserved".

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Josh,

The system is designed for up to 8GB per socket as you seem to be aware. There are a couple thoughts I have.

1. Memory might not be compatible together? I know you've tried some different combinations, but may something is going on there mixing brands of RAM.
    2. Make sure Max Memory isn't set. msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced Options -> Uncheck Max Memory

Hope this helps,

Cory

• joshuazh

Yes.

Here is a list of things I already tried:

"

I've cycled through all of the sockets and tested each stick, all of the sockets and sticks work and boot up.

Specs: Acer Aspier V3-772G-5413 Win 8.1 64-bit

System information shows 16 gigs of memory, BIOS shows 16 gigs of memory, CPU-Z shows 16 gigs of memory with all the sticks recognized, and yet windows itself is only using 8.1 gigs of the 16 gigs in there.

The resource monitor has a grey bar indicating that 8 gigs is hardware reserved, which fills up half of the entire bar that represents the 16 gigs I have total.

Said two sticks of ram is GSkill F3-1600C11-4GRSL, 1.35 voltage. Original ram was Kingston ram, 2 sticks, also 1.35 volts. Both rams have CAS latencies of 11-11-11-28.

Customer support for GSkill said the ram was compatible with the model of my computer, which is Acer Aspier V3-772G-5413.

None of the pins seem to be bent and the ram is seems to be seated properly as I have reseated them multiple times.

My BIOS is locked, so I can't do the memory remapping thing nor can I mod this BIOS because it doesn't seem to have any stable mods. BIOS is Insydeh20 rev 3.7.

I've already done the msconfig-boot options-advanced-uncheck memory thing.

I checked the BCDEdit settings and it said the setting for truncatedmemory was 0x400000000, which from what I've looked up should be good for 16 gigs. But I'm not sure how to make it larger. There isn't any removemem or any other memory options there.

So yeah, I've tried almost everything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And I've tried using cmd to do the 8.1 version of refreshing the windows experience index, which helped in win7 apparently, and I've done the windows memory diagnostic thing which said there was nothing wrong with my memory.

Also, task manager also recognizes all 16 gigs. I also tried removing just one stick, and my computer still sits at 8gb and now since it's 12 gb total it has 4gb as "Hardware Reserved."

The memory works even when mixed. I used switched them between all the slots and channels, and I also tried running with one stick from Kingston and one stick from GSkill, and that worked.

• joshuazh
    Hello, could I please get a response?
  • joshuazh

I would really like a response, please, or at least a follow-up. I need to know whether I need to return this RAM or send my computer in for fixing.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

This is a peer to peer support forum, and while Acer techs may occasionally respond to a question, they do not monitor the boards.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

One other thought might be to check how much RAM is being shared with the video card. You can hit Windows+Pause Break to take you to system properties, index and then click on "View and print detailed performance and system information" and you'll see a screen like the one below. It might be showing 8GB shared with the video card.

http://imgur.com/4ARRX5I

Cory

• joshuazh

That is not an option in windows 8.1. Do you have instructions for windows 8.1?