Aspire S7-392 - Laptop goes to sleep when power supply gets plugged in.

Options
garrett
garrett Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I was unable to find a similar thread after searching for a bit.

I have an Aspire S7-392 running Windows 8 Enterprise.

For some reason, every time I plug the power supply into the laptop, the laptop goes to sleep.  I can easily wake it back up by hitting the enter key, but this sleeping causes things like my VPN and RDP connections to all blow up.

The battery seems to be in great shape.  I can run for hours with no AC adapter, and when plugged in the AC adapter charges the laptop just fine.  It can run for days or weeks with the AC adapter plugged in, and there are no issues with the transition when I unplug the AC adapter from the laptop (besides hitting the poorly located power button on occasion!).

I have just dealt with it for the past year or so, but find myself being a bit more mobile these days, and each time I get up to take the laptop somewhere, I know I'll only have as long as the battery will take me before I have to plug it in and it goes to sleep on me, wrecking all of my in progress remote VPN and RDP sessions.

Anyone have any suggestions of things I can try?

Thanks,

-Garrett

Answers

• garrett
    garrett Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

So I got frustrated by this a bit more today and decided to experiment with it a bit.

It turns out it has nothing to do with the transition from battery power to the AC adapter.  The issue is that the physical case of the laptop itself is sensitive to pressure, thus causing the same outcome as hitting the power button located next to it.

I pulled the AC adapter completely out of the equation and just applied slight pressure with my finger to the AC adapter port, and sure enough, it goes to sleep.  Conversely, I can plug in the AC adapter very slowly and carefully, ensuring that no pressure is applied to the surrounding plastic case and it does not gp to sleep.

So, while I'm glad I have it figured out now, and know how to work around it, I suspect there is really nothing that can be done to fix this.  It just sounds like a design flaw in having the power button located where it is.  Ugh!