System Shutdown exactly after 30 minutes - following CPU upgrade

ju44uj
ju44uj Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I have an Acer e1-531. It was working smoothly with a win7. I decided to upgrade CPU and bought a core-i7 CPU and installed successfully. 

I started the system, everything worked fine. Then after exactly 30 minutes, the system shuts down without any message, it just shuts down instantly.

I tried to boot system from a USB ubuntu 14.04 but it was exactly the same, system shuts down after exactly 30 minutes.

I contacted the dealer (I bought it from Aliexpress) they told me it is the Bios and I need to upgrade it. Then I upgraded Bios to the latest version using company's website utility. It happens exactly the same.

I have tried many thermal monitoring and CPU burner tools without any sign of error or problem. I even pushed the system to its limits, where temperature reached to 100 c but nothing happened, system just worked normally until it reached its 30 minutes, then it shut down again (while CPU temperature was 46 c)

To me, it seems some kind of setting / configuration problem rather than fault or issue. Because if it was a fault or error it could not happen exactly the same time in all conditions, the time period would change. I imagined may be I have changed some kind of hardware configuration, cable misplacement when replacing CPU, but I do not know of any.

I appreciate if anyone have faced similar problem before or anyone knows any hardware setting on mother board that can cause or start a shutdown timer,  let me know.

Update -- After posting this I noticed most of the similar problems reported by other people is related with issues in mother boeard however, it does not seem to be case in my case as it just started after replacing CPU  

Cheers

Ju

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Are you sure that i7 is compatible with your motherboard?

i can only find i3-2370M as top CPU.

by the way i would check the power management:

and disable put computer to sleep

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

then check if it still shutdown after 30 minutes.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ju44uj
    ju44uj Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is compatible. However, it does not have anything to do with windows settings, as if I leave it in BIOS, it will shut down exactly on 30 minutes.

So it does not have anything software, it is related to some hw or hw configuration.

Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i'm still not sure is compatible since this 30 minutes shutdown even on BIOS looks like a BIOS incompatibility on microcode.

i can only suggest you a reset CMOS to check if this can solve it.

you can also try to put back your old CPU and check if it shutdowns, if so, can be a motherboard failure, if not.. i7 is not compatible by BIOS.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Also remove any other components that you may have added besides CPU.  Try to get it back in factory condition as far as removing ALL components upgraded.

• JonyBlackWalker
    JonyBlackWalker Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Where can I find a list of processors that are compatible with this motherboard?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

Hi,

The recommended CPUs are i3-2350m, i3-2370m, these two will definitely work but you may try other CPUs as well from the link below at your own risk, try to select the ones with the same TDP(35W) if you want to upgrade to i7 and make sure to go for Dual core and not Quad.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i3_Mobile/i3-2370M_(PGA).html

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Will the processor i3-2350m or i3-2370m work properly with this motherboard?

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Why does the BIOS shut down the notebook with this  motherboard when the user changes processor to I7processor?

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Why does the BIOS shut down the notebook with this motherboard when the user changes processor to processor  I7?

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Yes, both of them will work as they are compatible with the motherboard, the motherboard was not designed to install a i7 CPU and could be the difference in TDP or the i7 was a quad core type, actually any upgrades outside of recommended CPU is a shot in the dark.

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Will the processor i3-3310M  work properly with this motherboard?

• brummyfan2

Hi,

I don't think so as they are from different platforms.

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Procesor Intel Core i3-2370M  does not work properly with this motherboard. The notebook with the procesor restarts every 30 minutes. I'm disgusted!

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

CPU cooling works fine. My humble opinion is that the BIOS turns off the notebook unnecessarily. How can I enable advanced BIOS options?

• JonyBlackWalker

Tinkerer

Silence, nobody  knows how to enable advanced bios options in Acer Aspire E1-531?

• brummyfan2

JonyBlackWalker wrote:

Silence, nobody  knows how to enable advanced bios options in Acer Aspire E1-531?

Hi,

No, the advanced BIOS options can not be enabled without modifying BIOS, not many people do that as it needs lot of skill and tools, that's why you are not getting any replies.