Acer aspire T160 bios update failure

Options
jtrafjr
jtrafjr Member Posts: 7 New User

While attempting to upgrade my T160 cpu from Athlon 64 3500+ to a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core

Thinking I need to update the bios from R02-A3 to R02-b1.(downloaded from Acer site)

Using the program that comes with the bios Win Flash

Following the instructions here's what happened

ERROR Message

Flash block erase failure

FWH Rom is write protected

Please make sure whether lockout jumper is set to correct or not.

What is a lockout jumper and where is it located

Can anyone tell me how or if I need to update to run the new processor

Thank you in advance

Sandan

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think you should wait 60 days for the release of Windows 10 to see if that can solve the problem.  Windows 10 will automatically make sure you have the right drivers (99% sure).

It's possible that it is in fact a BIOS issue.  But any advice that I would give you could possible permanently break your computer and I don't want to do that , because it still a pretty decent computer (except for the windows xp).

I'm guessing that Windows 10 retail copy will be pretty cheap to buy.  I can't say for sure that your computer will support windows 10, but I think it will.

Also, althought it's unrelated to your current issue, you can't just swap cpu's like that safely without applying fresh thermal compound.  There's some videos on youtube from motherboard manufacturers that show you how to properly clean off the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.  Make sure the videos you watch are from a motherboard manufacturer and not some Joe Blow.

And then if Windows 10 doesn't fix it, you'll have to decide at that point if you want to permanently risk bricking your computer by messing with BIOS.

I'm sure you know that Windows XP is not supported and is a security risk.

Good luck!

Edit: Here's an alternative to Windows XP that works good for older XP computers.

http://lubuntu.net/

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Options

It might be safer to just try it with your current BIOS.  Worst case scenario is you might have to spend an extra $8.00 for some new thermal paste.

If you mess up with the BIOS, it's going to cost a lot more than $8.00.  Smiley Wink

• jtrafjr
    Options
  • jtrafjr
    Options

Hi JordanB

Some specs

Acer aspire T160 socket 939
    3gig of PC3200 memory
    Ati 4350 HD 512 mb video card
    200gb sata hard drive
    Motherboard FC51GM (looks like a Foxcon)
    Win Xp sp3

Heres what i did

Removed the old processor and replaced it with Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual core
    Boots I hear and see the hard drive working, but the monitor says no signal
    I can hear the sounds when windows comes up.
    Checking Acer web site It say’s this board supports Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual core.
    Everything appears to be working I just can’t see it on the monitor.
    Put the old processor back in, monitor comes up with Acer and continues into the
    Operating system.

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think you should wait 60 days for the release of Windows 10 to see if that can solve the problem.  Windows 10 will automatically make sure you have the right drivers (99% sure).

It's possible that it is in fact a BIOS issue.  But any advice that I would give you could possible permanently break your computer and I don't want to do that , because it still a pretty decent computer (except for the windows xp).

I'm guessing that Windows 10 retail copy will be pretty cheap to buy.  I can't say for sure that your computer will support windows 10, but I think it will.

Also, althought it's unrelated to your current issue, you can't just swap cpu's like that safely without applying fresh thermal compound.  There's some videos on youtube from motherboard manufacturers that show you how to properly clean off the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.  Make sure the videos you watch are from a motherboard manufacturer and not some Joe Blow.

And then if Windows 10 doesn't fix it, you'll have to decide at that point if you want to permanently risk bricking your computer by messing with BIOS.

I'm sure you know that Windows XP is not supported and is a security risk.

Good luck!

Edit: Here's an alternative to Windows XP that works good for older XP computers.

http://lubuntu.net/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

there is no jumper to unlock BIOS.

the only thing you can try, is to clear CMOS, unplug AC cord, open your case, take off the CMOS battery, wait 3 minutes, put everything back.

boot to XP and try BIOS flash again, please be sure to shutdown any antivirus before flashing.

remember to do a clear CMOS also after switching to the new CPU and before doing the first boot.

• jtrafjr
    Options

Hi IronFly

Thanks for the reply,I will set a date to pull this out of service and try your suggestion

• JordanB
    Options

IronFly's suggestion might be best to try...because if leak is true, Windows 10 won't be cheap for those upgrading from Windows XP.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/online-reseller-leaks-oem-prices-and-on-sale-dates-for-windows-10/#ftag=YHFb1d24ec

• jtrafjr
    Options

Hi JordanB

Thanks for your reply you have been very helpful in weighting in on my decision

I wll use all information to decide which  is cheaper

New OS or new computer