NumLock ON by defaul

rabbit
rabbit Member Posts: 2 New User

Is there a way to have NumLock on by default so it's on by the time it gets to the log on screen? I've tried the registry trick but that doesn't work. Usually there's an option in the BIOS for this but there is none. My laptop is an Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Enable Num Lock on startup using registry tweak.

The first method is to alter the registry settings and so, Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can try this. I would strongly recommended taking a backup of the registry and/or create a system restore point first. Having done that, follow these steps:
    Press Win + R and type in Regedit
    Navigate to registry key HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Right click on the “InitialKeyboardIndicators”, select Modify and change Value data to 2.
    Exit Registry.
    Note: If you see the default value data as 2147483648; that is fine too and is the default on most installations

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 2 New User

Sharanji, thanks for the reply but unfortunately this is the registry trick that I've already tried as mentioned above, and it doesn't work after a fresh boot. Is there anything else I can try?

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    I’m not sure how disabling Fast Startup affects Num Lock, but on systems facing this issue, disabling fast Startup did help.

Press and hold the Window logo key and tap X on your keyboard to open control panel.
    Click on Power Plan. Now click on Choose what the power buttons do on the left side panel
    Now select Change settings that are currently unavailable  Scroll down and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended)

That’s it. Now after shutting down and reboot your NumLock should retain the last configuration.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.