unstable win 8.1 on V5-55G-X414

rica01
rica01 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi.

I have been experiencing freezes, hangs and general discomfort while using windows 8.1.

My laptop V5-55G-X414 came with windows 8 and i remember having the same problems so i downgraded to windows 7 and it was working fine. I decided to do a cleanup and reinstalled windows 8.1 from scratch and since then i get sudden freezes and all i can do is a hard reset.

Has anyone experienced this?

Can sombody point me to an ACER representative?

Answers

• matthewharrison
    matthewharrison Member Posts: 42 New User

Disk usage might be hitting 100%. Seems to be a big problem with windows 8/8.1. Try using CTRL+ALT+Delete & opening up task manager. You should be able to see your disk usage in a percentage on the "Processes" tab or also in the "Performance" tab. If it's a high percentage then it's likely causing problems when you start trying to run programs. 

Check it out & see what's going on with that. If it does seem to be the problem then follow these steps to increase your virtual memory:

1. Go to windows sidebar & seach for "System", an icon with a picture of a computer & a check mark on the screen should show up, open it.

2. In System, click on "Advanced System Settings" to the left.

3. Go to the "Advanced" tab if not opened to it by defaulf. At the top of the advanced tab you will see a section titled "Performance" with a settings button to the right, click on the settings. 

4. Go to the "Advanced" tab in the window that pops up, at the bottom you will see "Virtual Memory", click on change.

5. Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"

6. Click "Custom Size" and set the "Intial Size" to double whatever the current size is. You may also want to try whatever the recommended value is, but sometimes its not enough. I then usually set the "Maximum Size" to double the intial, just to give some room if it's needed.

• rica01
    rica01 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

yeah its not that.