Acer Aspire 7745g 2nd hard disk parts

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm hoping it's neither a design flaw nor hardware problem. It seems to happen immediately following the bios routine at which point Windows is supposed to start taking over, loadi all its device driver software, and boot. I'm guessing Win7's ATA/ATAPI controller software is somehow not correctly reporting that a bootable media is in another drive bay. So that's why I suggested that it may be worth a shot to erecover back to almost factory-fresh condition from the hidden recovery partition while saving your data. This should refresh all the device driver software, including the intel chipset, etc. If refreshing the driver software doesn't resolve the issue, then I'd probably try to reflash the bios. If it still isn't resolved,  then yes, it is likely a hardware issue and/or incorrect physical setting (switch, jumper, etc) on the motherboard or drives themselves 

The only place I saw reference to the 7745g SSD adapter for the HDD bay was in a google search that one had been purchased from the UK amazon site. 

Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici
    DraganRaicici Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

I ruled out Windows as the culprit.

Let me explain why:

I installed Ubuntu on the SSD. I then replaced the HDD with the SSD in the normal place. It worked. It booted from the SSD.

Now...without any HDD in the normal slot,I introduced the SSD in the DVD slor,using the caddy.  No go....the system freezes after the post screen.

My conclusion, the OS is not responsible. Is there any way I could get ahold of a bios with Advanced mode? Maybe, I could see some parameters in there,that could help me understand my problem and somehow configure the DVD as a bootable device. One more thing to add, I want to use the SSD in the normal slot (IDE0) and the laptop's HDD in the caddy,because,of course,I want the OS to benefit from the SSD.

I understand that manufacturers either hide or completely remove this tab from bios to prevent the call-center being flooded with questions about changes some people might have done in that tab.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

You may be right on the advanced tab being hidden. Do you recall your original bios version number?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Options

Hmmm..I don't remember..but I think it was hidden in that version also.

• MikiSan
    MikiSan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi DraganRaicici and JackE
    Maybe you (Dragan) don´t use your 7745G anymore, but I´m having exacltly the same issue about BIOS and HDD in the DVD slot. My windows has been totally reinstaled in my new SSD from the recovery CDs, so is a completely fresh installation... Did you (or anybody else) managed to solve the problem in any way? Would be great to hear about it! Thanks in advance!!!
  • DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Options
    Unfortunately, I abandoned the attempt and sold both the caddy and SSD. I think I mainly abandoned it because I didn't want to to about searching for an "unlocked" BIOS. By "unlocked", I mean, one that has the "Advanced" tab available. I cannot help you further Miki, I'm sorry :(