Spilled drink on keyboard - Unable to power up

Lukelulu
Lukelulu Member Posts: 1 New User

Spilled a drink on my chromebook keyboard. It doesn't power on anymore.  Is it worth repairing?  Is it reparable?

Stupidly, I spilled a drink on my new chromebook yesterday.  Pulled the power and placed it on its side to drain overnight.  Placed it by heater vent this morning.  If it doesn't power on, is it reparable?  

If not, for my next Chromebook, I'm buying a keyboard protector!  

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Lukelulu,

Sorry to hear about the accident Smiley Frustrated

I believe we offer pretty reasonable repair rates in the US. I believe around 130$ for the C720 and around 150$ for the CB3s. You can contact our support them, with your serial number they'll provide you a upfront repair cost that won't change unless we physically can't repair it (if EVERYTHING is ruined, it may be a total loss, but then you wouldn't be charged at all). Our support staff can provide more details if that's something you're intersted in.

Honestly though, I don't know what you paid for your Chromebook, but I'd probably just start over, but that's really just my opinion. I'd always feel as if it wasn't as good as it should have been. Also, it may not help now, but if you do spill liquid on electronics, usually give it a lot of time, I'd probably get it  3+ days before touch it, also opening anything up that you can on the device would improve airflow and reduce buildup due to percipitation.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,
    Cory

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yeah, part of the problem is inherent in any Chromebook. They don't really fully power off easily. That means that often you're going to have some electrocules running around when you spill even if you think it's off. And when those little electrocules hit liquid they get very angry... Best is if you have a model with a removable battery, so you can pull the power and then do the 3 day wait before plugging the battery back in. If things go zzzzit as the drink spills than you are often too late for remedies.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.