Aspire V3 keyboard and wireless issues

jdmaw
jdmaw Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,

I have an Aspire V3-771G-9809, it's a little over two years old. 

Some of the keyboard keys in the upper left corner don't work, such as the A, Q, 1, and Esc.  I called Aspire support before the free help period ended and they gave instructions to fix it, something to do with static build up, the fix included taking out the battery and going into the startup BIOS, but I can't remember now what the steps were.  Anybody else had this same issue or know what the steps are to fix it?

Also, for sometime now the wireless does not stay connected and is weak and slow when it is connected.  I don't believe the issue is with my router or network as all other computers and devices in the house work fine.  I have to constantly disconnect and reconnect the network connection to get the internet to work.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

The solution for static buildup is remove the battery and power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds,plug on power cord and start.There's nothing in Bios that's going to fix the keyboard.Your keyboard could have dirt in those keys or it's becoming defective and needs replacement.

On the wireless, if you have the Atheros AR5BWB222, a lot of laptops have problems with this card.You can try reinstalling the latest driver for it, but you have to uninstall all of the old driver first.

If it's been carried around for two years it's possible it got bumped hard enough that one of the antennas came off.

If yours has a t shaped door on the bottom, you can remove it to get to the Wifi card.

A lot of people are replacing the card.

Answers

• philetus
    Answer ✓

The solution for static buildup is remove the battery and power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds,plug on power cord and start.There's nothing in Bios that's going to fix the keyboard.Your keyboard could have dirt in those keys or it's becoming defective and needs replacement.

On the wireless, if you have the Atheros AR5BWB222, a lot of laptops have problems with this card.You can try reinstalling the latest driver for it, but you have to uninstall all of the old driver first.

If it's been carried around for two years it's possible it got bumped hard enough that one of the antennas came off.

If yours has a t shaped door on the bottom, you can remove it to get to the Wifi card.

A lot of people are replacing the card.

• jdmaw

Tinkerer

Thanks for the response, the procedure for the keyboard does sound familiar, just couldn't remember the details.  I will look into resintalling the drivers for the wireless card and go from there.

• jdmaw

Tinkerer

My computer does have the Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless card, I'm thinking of just replacing it.  I've shopped around but I am not familiar with laptop wireless card specifications.  Any suggestions for a replacement?

• philetus

Try a Atheros AR9485WB-EG. They're cheap.  $5 to $8. Acer doesn't have white lists, but can have a problem finding the right drivers.

• jdmaw

Tinkerer

I ended up installing an Intel Centrino Advanced-N6235 wireless adapter and immediately noticed an improvement in wireless connectivity and speed.

Still having trouble with the keyboard.  I'm not sure static build up in the issue, taking out the battery and holding the power button doesn't seem to be working.  When the computer first turns on the A, 1, 1, and Esc rarely work, after the computer's been on a few minutes they may work, but still only intermitenly.  Any other suggestions?  Does the keyboard just need to be replaced?