Turbo Boost, eGPU support

TheHecsko
TheHecsko Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone!

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G, originally equipped with Intel i3-2328m, which doesn't support Turbo Boost technology. In the past i succeeded to upgrade it to an i5-3230m, which supports Turbo Boost. The problem is that I don't know how could I enable that option. Should I risk with a custom BIOS, or is there any option for enabling the Turbo boost technology? My current BIOS version is 1.15

The second thing is that I would like to set up an eGPU system via mPCI-E (replacing the wireless card with a piece of hardware like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/SowAAOSwc3ZUqCI6/$_86.JPG and a GTX 660). I've read that some laptops have "whitelisted" mPCI-E slots, so they work with the specific wireless card, and will not work with any other device. Are the V3-771Gs' mPCI-e slots whitelisted? My current wireless card is Atheros AR5BWB222

V3-771G-3234G50Mail
Model No: VA70

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If your processor supports Turbo Boost it probably works. Turbo Boost is kind of passive and the laptop activates it when it thinks it needs more power.You probably won't see a lot of it.

I don't believe Acer uses white lists,but you might have a problem finding drivers that will work. 

• TheHecsko
    TheHecsko Member Posts: 2 New User

I tried to benchmark the Turbo boost capability with running prime 95 and monitor the extra Mhz-s with Argus Monitor, but the frequency was stuck at 2,6 GHz. The Intel ark website (http://ark.intel.com/products/72164/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA) says that the i5-3230m has turbo boost (Max. 3,2GHz), but when I tried to run Intel's turbo boost monitoring program (found on Acer's website) it said that my processor doesn't support Turbo boost, so that's why I asked my question before. I render a lot of images on my laptop, so that's why I thought that the extra 600Mhz would come in handy... (In my case I cannot afford a big workstation)

Btw thank you for the reply, but I expected some detailed problem solving methods, so if it's not a problem, I will not accept this as a solution.

Edit: I compared the old (i3) and the new (i5) processors specs, and both of them have the same exact TDP, so in my opinion that should be a problem with the software.

• JeffThePony
    JeffThePony Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I basicly have the same issue about eGPU.

I own an Acer Aspire V3- 771G with an intel core i5-3230m, 4gb of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 710m.

I would like to use an eGPU with the same sistem that you refered, by mPCIE. i have 2 of those slots. but i dont know if it would really work. I wanted to know if it has some kind of whitelist that wouldn t let it be possible.

Thanks,