Would you buy another Acer product after this?

darrin2101
darrin2101 Member Posts: 6 New User

This letter is to complain about an Acer Predator G3 AG3-605-UR21 Desktop Computer I purchased from Tiger Direct in Tampa back in November 2013. Almost immediately I had problems with intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity. Upon consulting the support forums on your website it transpired that this was a common problem to which there was no workaround. The only solution was to spend an additional $10-20 on a replacement. Not only a waste of my money but also a valuable USB port which could have been used for something else.

In January of this year the main Hard Drive began to fail (just weeks after the warranty expired). It was then I discovered that this would not be a simple matter of replacing the drive. In addition to spend close to $100 on the drive I would also have to purchase recovery media from yourselves, another $20 down the drain. Most other computer manufacturers I have dealt with either include recovery discs with the unit or offer them as a download option on their website.

The final straw occurred last week (24th February 2015) when the BIOS became corrupted essentially turning my computer into a $1000 paper weight! After taking it to one of your local resellers they inform me that there is no way to fix the motherboard and replacements are no longer available (on a machine just over a year old). My only option is to purchase a third party Motherboard ($100-150) which in turn means I have to replace the power supply ($50) as for reasons only known to yourselves, Acer PSUs have non-standard connectors. Plus of course as my operating system is linked to the original hardware, that too must go on my shopping list ($100). In short I’m expected to spend a total of nearly $500 to keep a 14 month old machine operational.

At this point I tried calling your Supportbay team who were less than useless, the agent I got was clearly reading from a script and failed to listen to a word I said. Even after explaining several time that the unit was incapable of booting up he still insisted on trying to start a “Log Me In” session so he could see the problem.

I expected a much higher level of quality from your company, and I am quite disappointed. I expect some form of compensation for the expense and inconvenience caused. I will be informing my friends and family about this experience.

Answers

• MrPikachu1998
    MrPikachu1998 Member Posts: 26 New User

For me it won't because of bloatware. But if anything were to happen to me then yeah I'd probably never buy one again.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi darrin2101,

I'm sorry that you've had less than stellar experience with your Predator desktop. Could you send me a private message with the following information?

• Name:
    • Phone:
    • Serial Number:

I'd like to have our service team review your issue and see where we can help.

Thanks,
    Cory