Kyllandra
Kyllandra Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello Community!

Acer Predator G3-605

Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHZ

Nvidia GeForce gtx 77016

16GB RAM

500W

The reason I am posting this message is not really because I have a problem but more so because I don't want to have any problems in the future so I need some advice from other gamers. Recently, I burned up my graphics card on a similar system I have that is 8 months old and had to send it in for repairs. I bought a new computer while I waited. I listed the new system specs above. So, I play World of Warcraft and it is the only game I play on either PC. I dont have any other games installed. In fact, apart from Team Speak and my virus protection, I don't have any other programs installed other than what shipped with the computer. I also don't visit sites that I don't trust. However, I do play this game a lot. I mean, several hours every single day. Like 5+ hours a day. (i don't overclock, by the way) At any rate, I have noticed that this computer runs a lot hotter than the other one. I haven't run a temp program on this one yet, but it feels hot to the touch. A lot hotter than my other PC and there doesn't seem to be as much airflow as the other one either. My concern is that if I've already burned up a graphics card on a PC that apparently has a better cooling system, how long will it be before I burn this one up too? Should I purchase a better cooling system and if so, which one? Will installing a new cooling system effect the conditions of my warranty?

All advice will be greatly appreciated!

Most Sincerely,

- Leah

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

normally 2 fans are a good solution to have a correct airflow.

one in the front that push cold air inside the case, one in the back that push hot air outside the pc case.

so check if your G3 has 2 fans in front and rear, looking at some pics, the rear seems missing, i don't know about a front fan.

you need to open the PC case to add fans, and you can avoid warranty if any label is in the lateral door; give Acer a call and ask if you can avoid warranty adding fans to the case.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

I suspect, understandably, that you are simply being a little paranoid. I am guessing that your G3 has a higher spec than your older PC. If that's the case, it will probably be pulling more power and that equals heat. I can't find any official info on the G3 but in pictures I have seen it appears that the CPU fan exhausts straight into the case. I don't see any case fans to assist. If yours has an unused fan mount in the case at the rear, I would fit one which will help getting rid of the CPU fan exhaust plus heat from the graphics card.

The case appears to have a large intake at the side which will help with the graphics card as it should draw cool are in and across it. The additional case fan mentioned earlier should draw air out of the case and not in. That should give a nice flow internally and I would expect temperatures to reduce. If you have not got fans at the front but you have mounts you may wish to populate the front too (pulling air in). I would try to have an equal number of fans drawing in as out.

Personally, my preference is water cooling for the CPU. I have successfully used it for many years. It also has the advantage, because of the case mounted radiator, of not having any CPU heat circulate within the case. Also, if using PWM fans, it is totally silent. However, I can't comment on how this might affect your warranty.

If you do add additional fans or fan, go for a PWM one if your motherboard has provision for it (typically four pin).

• Kyllandra
    Kyllandra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Oh yeah, I am definitely paranoid. There's no doubt about that, but I also just want to prevent any similar issues that I had with the old computer in the future with the new one, which means I should probably look into a better cooling system. I understand that it's fairly common knowledge that retail computers are shipped with the lowest end cooling system (fans usually) as possible unless they are advertised as having an especially good component. So, I guess my next step is to find out if opening my computer and installing a better cooling system will affect my warranty. Thanks for the advice both of you!