Failed BIOS update on Acer Predator G3-605 has bricked the unit

darrin2101
darrin2101 Member Posts: 6 New User

Attempted a BIOS update on my PC earlier this week, all seemed to go well untill I rebooted the unit to re-enable the F12 Boot menu option. Hit  Save and Exit and was met with a blank screen and a 3 second beep. Tried disconnectig the battery, resetting the MOS jumper, no joy, took it to my local Acer Reseller who also had no luck ressurecting it.

So, what are my options the reseller claims it's impossible to reflash the BIOS and that the Motherboard has been discontinued.

If that's the case then I have to find a third party MoBo, new PSU because Acer in their infinite wisdom decided to make their connectors non-standard and presumably a new Windows License. It's becoming quite an expensive software update.

Needless to say Acer aren't my fave computer company right now, particularly after I had to buy a new Hard Drive last month as the original failed after 13 months of use (which of course meant I had to buy the set of recovery discs as well).

Hopefully someone can give me some good news as I'm this close to just tossing this system and buy something from a more reliable manufacturer.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you disconnect HDD, DVD, take off ram sticks and try to boot, do you hear any beep?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • darrin2101
    darrin2101 Member Posts: 6 New User

The guy at the Acer dealership tried all that. I'm amazed in this day and age that BIOS updates are still such a risky business