R7 Microphone, where is it, why do I get an echo, and how I do use a headset?

Options
Colchicine
Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

R7-572 with Win 8.1

I'm pretty sure the microphones are on the front edge underneath the keyboard.  It's a really odd place for mics, especially since this is a convertible.  I wanted to confirm that's where they are.

I use Dragon speech recognition software and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use a headset.  I have a regular Andrea NC-181 analog headset with just a 1/8" plug.  I am unable to get the computer to recognize it and use it.

So, in the meantime I've been using the onboard mics.  Unless I have the mic disabled, every restart has it turned up and I will get echos between the mic and the speakers, and I nearly get feedback.  Luckily I am able to use the mixer to turn down the mic, but still keep the mic on for Dragon to use.  Weird, I know.

As you can see, I have some mic troubles that could use some fixing.  Thoughts?

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

The R7-572 has the microphone board roughly central at the front immediately behind the casing.
    Windows will retain the last levels set at shutdown so will be at that level when Windows next boots.

Normally, you should have the speaker level at minimum when using a microphone so that the echo that you are experiencing cannot happen. You may well also experience 'howlround' when both speaker and microphone levels are high. This is normal behaviour and is to be expected. Consequently, where it is necessary to monitor input, you would normally use headphones.