Acer SMS Manager does not work - it does not see my sim card - Windows 8.1 driver issue?

rfraikin
rfraikin Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I have an ACER ICONIA W511P and I am using without problems my SIM card to connect to the Internet.
However, the ACER SMS keeps saying that id did not detect any SIM card.

Same problem with the HUAWEI Mobile Control "Beta" application, also reporting "No available device or SIM card found!".
The problem appeared after I upgraded to Windows 8.1; the Mobile Control application was able to receive and display SMS messages when I was still using Windows 8.

Even stranger, when I connect to a new mobile network, Windows reports that I have received 3 SMS messages. However, when I click on this notification box to open display the SMS messages I get once more a message "No Sim card found".

Seemingly I am not the ony one to have this problem as I found a 2013 post (archived) in this forum.
Unfortunately, nobody replied to it, neither users, neither ACER experts.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

We can hope that one of the Acer representatives drops by, or one of the Aces from outside the US. The 511 wasn't sold where I live so have never had a chance to play with it. Smiley Sad

It certainly sounds like a software issue though, if it worked in 8.0 but not in 8.1. What does Device Manager say? Anything marked as not right?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hi,
    Have You installed the Driver updates from Acer Support page. If not here you go, Try this & get back, If youn still have troubles. http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Others/Others_Acer_3.02_W81x86_A.zip?acerid=635203631683089151&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA W&Step3=W511P&OS=81P2&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=1.244269964.886857815.1424418774
  • rfraikin

Thank you to both of you for replying.

Actually, the device manager shows the "HUAWEI MOBILE" network interface as working properly.
    The pilot is from Microsoft ad it is version 6.3.9600.16453, dated 31-10-2013.

Also, I get the connexion to internet using this device so it works fine, as well as the sim card and it is properly configured for my 3G supplier.

I had already downloaded the 3.02 version of the drivers long ago and I was prety sure that I had already installed them to solve another problem (clock issue after restarting from hibernation), but just to be sure, I retried yesterday and I got a message that all the installed drivers were either identical or more recent. I did not pursue the installation as I could have spoiled other functions in case a driver would be more recent. The 3.02 kit is indeed not specific to the Huawei interface.

The most strange is that Windows detects and notifies me when new SMS are received, but then says that there is no SIM card detected!

• rfraikin

I did more tests sending SMS messages to the phone number associated with my sim card:

The messages are well received: I get a notification from "Mobile broadband" app that there is a new SMS.
    if I click on the notification, this launches the "Mobile broadband" app, showing a msg that peripheral was not detected and that several causes are possible: there I see that this "Mobile broadband"app is only working with the Proximus provider in Belgium, while I use Mobistar, so this is why this app, although capable of detecting the SMS, does not proceeds further.
    I have desinstalled it, just in case it would have prevented the ACER and/or HUAWEI app to work, but this did not solve the problem. Actually it made it worse as I do not get notification msg anymore when there is an SMS.

Conclusions:

1. Neither the ACER SMS manager nor the "Huawei Mobile Control beta" application detect my SIM card while the modem seemingly works with the "Mobile broadband" application.

2. The "Huawei Mobile Control beta" was working in Windows 8 but no longer works in 8.1; it is obviously lacking an update for W8.1.

3. I did not test the "ACER SMS manager" with windows 8 (was it available at that time?) but I see that it does not detect my internal modem and sim card in W8.1, so a fix would be welcome there as well.

As I am obviously not the only user having this issue, support from ACER would be welcome to solve it.

It is abnormal that I am able to connect to the internet using my modem and sim card but that the HW suppliers sms apps are not working.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi rfraikin,

Unfortunately, as Billsey stated, the W511P wasn't sold in the US and we don't have tablets with 3G/4G so I'm a bit behind. I did do a brief overview, and I don't see any reports that would bring up a systemic issue. I would suggest contacting your local support team as they may be more familiar with your issue. I apologize that I'm not very helpful on this topic.

Cory

• plumduff
    plumduff Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    My S56 disconnects & posts the message " no sim card detected"  . Rebooting doesn't seem to help. It re-registers after a while but it is now so frequent, it's irritating. In the middle of a call, it just disconnects! Is it a fixable problem?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Could be dirty contacts, have you tried cleaning them ? When I have a similar problem I put a drop or two of 91% drug store alcohol on a q-tip and gently clean.
  • SyedTayyab
    SyedTayyab Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi I'm using acer travelmate p633-v i want to manage my sim card is there any app that can be used to send messages to numbers using my sim 
  • SyedTayyab
    SyedTayyab Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi I'm using acer travelmate p633-v i want to manage my sim card is there any app that can be used to send messages to numbers using my sim with windows 10