Aspire e3 112 windows 8

Options
lozanov_a
lozanov_a Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hi all

I have 3 months old Acer Aspire E3 112. When I bought it I insalled windwos 8.1 without problems. However the touchpad was crashing. So I have updated some drivers and caused windows to crash.

Since then I am not able to install correctly windows 8.

It either does not install properly  - freezes on the windows login screen after installation

Installs but when trying to install wifi or any other laptop driver (downloaded from Acer site) it freezes.

Also restart and shut down are freezing (when you click restart - the blue screen showing restarting shows - with the moving dots - then in a few seconds the dots stop moving.. and in another few seconds I heard the HDD shuting down - but then after 5-10 mins the laptop is still on the same screeen and no sign of attempts to restart). When shutting down - it exits windows and then stays on black screen (the scren bacground lights are on and the HDD is still working).

I have tried bootable Ubuntu and it works like a charm, however my GF that uses the laptop does not like Ubuntu.

PS: I have a second e3-112 laptop (my parents use it) and it is still working - as I have not upgraded the touchpoint drvers - they use it with a mouse- so it is not such a big problem.

Any advise how to resolve this will be appreciated

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD

then boot from it and do a memtest and one of the tools to check HDD SMART and bad sectors.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lozanov_a
    Options

hi,

I forgot to mention it. I already did mem test and also HDD test (12 hour) and no errors were found.

I have tried installing from 5-6 different Win 8 versions.

I can not find a patternt when windows installation is sucessful, and when freezes before first login.

I do think it is something to do with drivers for win 8.

I am wondering if this falls under waranty and if I can send it for a free repair.

Regards

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i strongly suggest you to call the Acer support service, that's a really strange issue, random freezes are never a good thing.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lozanov_a
    Options

I have send the laptop for repair.

It seems that there is known issue with touchpad bad contact - It was fixed with some official repairing parts - coming from ACER.

So it seems that this laptop is faulty by design.

It got repaired (both touchpad and restart\shutdown), but after reinstalling windows am still fighting with the restart\shutdown issues.

I will try installing under UEFI (this is how it came from the repair store) and see if this is the fix

• lozanov_a
    Options

the touchpad started freezing again. This seems to be bad laptop.

• puji
    puji Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

E3 112 really bad laptop...my mouse hang....excel cannot auto calculate although right setting....

And cannot install Windows 7...

• ras_jack
    ras_jack Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I found a solution but i'm not sure thar work on any Acer E3-112M Notebook because i just have tested it on one, 30 minutes ago, xD.

First, the factory system and apps of the notebook make it very slow, have a poor processor so the manchine is inoperable with the stock software.

So i decided make a clean install of windows 10 (legacy mode) and have the same issues that you, frezzing after the windows install, windows blue screens, the notebook dont turn off, etc. etc..., i try too intall windows 8.1 (legacy mode) and got the same problems.

SOLUTION.

I update the bios from v10 to v16 (from windows 10 x86 clean install).

The first time that i ran the flash utility the notebook frezze again, i powered of holding the power button, power on again a run the flash utility, the notebook restart and this time it updates the bios.

The notebook restarts again and i receive a message of: no boot device!!!, so i enter in the bios and the bios mode was UEFI, i change it to legacy again and the system starts normally.

I power on and power off the notebook (normally from system) about 6 continue times and it shutdowns without problems!!!!.

RESUME: UPDATE TO THE LAST BIOS.

EXTRA: Acer E3-112M Touchpad Problems.

By default, the bios have a config for touchpad thas is in advanced mode, it works fine in a UEFI system install, but if you make a legacy install the touchpad have issues. So:

If you use a UEFI install configure the touchpad in advacned mode in the bios.

Else if u use a Legacy, change to simple mode. That's all.

I hope that it helps somebody, i has registered here few minutes ago just for repply answer to this problems. Sorry my bad english (no google traslated), ciao.

Cheers from México.

• israelestamez
    israelestamez Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Very Good ras_jack

But, in my case didnt work for me because at the restart windows freeze (again) and then i push power buu¿tton to force off, then the next reboot return me an error that says: Firmware error, bla bla bla...

The thing i did to solve: Boot with any Windows installation USB, then once it started i pressed the keys: Ctrl + shift + f10 to get CMD window, in there i can navigate using DOS commands to the folder where i leave the bios update executable and i run it from there.

And now i can installed all drivers and get my win 10 sl clean instalation without any freeze issues.

Thanks all of you and i hope this help you in the future!

Israel from NL MX