What is being done for those who purchased an early Aspire that had a 640GB harddrive that failed?

Options
cspen
cspen Member Posts: 2 New User

My 640GB in my six month old Acer failed, and I lost a lot of personal information. I have tried doing a disk retrieval but the files are all fragmented. I still have the machine which I had to replace. I would really like to recover my files, but attempts to date have failed. I have heard that once this disk was filled past 50% capacity, it routinely failed. By the time I found this out, my warrantee had expired. This is pure and simple, a manufacturers defect which I am sure has affected several people adversely. The Acer I am using now is good, but with a smaller harddrive, and it is a larger machine, making it hard for me to be as mobile as I would like. I am afraid to purchase another of the smaller variety as I have lost trust in the product. Can you provide any solution?

By the way, your spell check here wants me to replace Acer with Acre.

Answers

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter
    Options

If the 640GB HDd in your six month Acer has failed, the Acer should still be in warranty. The standard manufacturers warranty for an Acer notebook is one year so you should be able to swap it out with them and get a new one.

• cspen
    cspen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Getting them to give me a new harddrive is not the problem. The problem is that the harddrive that is in it is holding my original documents, writing hostage in fragmented files. This is what I need to have resolved. I am not even concerned with the value of the original computer at this point. I just cannot afford to have a recovery service recover the files.

• JC_1234
    JC_1234 Member Posts: 198 Troubleshooter
    Options

If you connect the defective HDD to the computer as a secondary HDD does it show up? If so, you should be able to get that data off. It's a long shot, but something to try if you haven't.

• orlbuckeye
    orlbuckeye Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

Well I guess it's a lesson learned. If data is that important it should be backed up. Also if it's not worth paying for someone to recover it then how import are the docs?

This discussion has been closed.