How do I make the Num Lock "ON" as the default? Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black

DLewis
DLewis Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I Just bought the Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black edition.   I live on the 10 key pad and it's frustrating that it needs to be turned on everytime I log in.   I've been on "chat" with tech support and they said it can't be done without calling for paid support.   I've tried regedit but I must not be entering the right choice.   Can someone talk me through this?

Answers

• DKstallion
    DKstallion Member Posts: 14 New User
    Check your bios for a boot on numlock function (access it with F12 or F2 key ), if its not there you cant enable it. On my V5-552G its writen into the bios that the boot on numlock function is enabled .
  • DLewis

I was surprised to not find it as an option in the bios.   

• DLewis

Philetus,  I changed the initialkeyindicator to 2 and it still shows as 2 (with nothing in the default field) and the computer still boots up with numlock off.    

• slavoandro
    slavoandro Member Posts: 2 New User

This is really annoying and Acer does not seem to care.

I think I know what they did. They simply take Bios from some model without numeric block and they used it without any extra work.

On laptop without numeric block, this makes sense, numeric block interleaves with letters. But on laptop with numeric block on keyboard, this is extremely annoying to always have to put numlock on.

So ACER, do you care about your customers or not??

Such things may decide, what will be my next latop. So far it seems it won't be an Acer...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

check if you have this registry key value:

HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators value was "2147483648"

change value to 2147483650

reboot

if doesn't work, on power options uncheck turn on fast startup

check if the registry key value is still the modified, reboot

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DLewis

Thanks,  I tried this previously, and again today to see if there's something I've missed.   The changes in regedit are being saved, but the numlock turns off (it even shows it being unlocked) when waking up whether its fast startup or not.   Changing the value to "2" does the same thing.   

This seems like such a stupid simple thing.     ACER have an answer??

• filurz
    filurz Member Posts: 2 New User

Scheduled task is the solution.

Download numlock program or any program that let you programatically lock the numpad

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/numlock/download.shtml

Create a scheduled task specifying in action tab numlock.exe with argument value "on"

In trigger tab, trigger this action on "unlocking session".

• pandalion98
    pandalion98 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

What I've done to my unit is while I was on the logon screen, I enabled numlock. The next time you reboot, it should be enabled by Windows automatically.

• rusty9073
    rusty9073 Member Posts: 3 New User

‎03-08-2016 03:00 PM

Scheduled task is the solution.

Download numlock program or any program that let you programatically lock the numpad

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/numlock/download.shtml

Create a scheduled task specifying in action tab numlock.exe with argument value "on"

In trigger tab, trigger this action on "unlocking session".

This totally worked for me - I downloaded this program and then set it to execute the numlock.exe program (action) with a tigger of "On workstation unlock of any user" in Task Scheduler.

I have spent months trying to solve this issue, changed everything in regedit that I could find and nothing worked, but this quick fix did the job. Thank you so much for posting this solution. Smiley Happy

• jon19001
    jon19001 Member Posts: 1 New User

This also worked for an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-562T

• JDubb
    JDubb Member Posts: 1 New User
    I wouldn't install numlock from that link: