Acer Apsire E3 112 - Right click on Synaptic Touchpad not working on Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10

Options
Mitya_2
Mitya_2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my Aspire E3 112 and after a bit of fannying around with setting a System Password in the BIOS and trusting the Grub2 EFI settings, I have a stable system that boots in to both Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 with Bing. 

BUT 

The right click doesn't work on the Synaptic Touchpad.

No matter where I click on the touchpad it is recognised as a left click. Grrrrrr

I've tried installing the GPointing Device Setting but  there aren't any config settings for right click.

I've heard that Synaptics have a product (Synaptics Gesture Suite for Linux -  SGS-L) but it's only available to OEM suppliers.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Has anybody got any suggestions worth trying?

Answers

• Mitya_2
    Mitya_2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Great. thank you, That is extremely useful and full of stuff that I'm going to play with.

It seems that the touchpad doesn't have a physical right button (indicated by the zero in 3rd place), so I may need to start getting used to using a double finger click.

$ xinput list-props "SYN1B7D:01 06CB:2991 UNKNOWN" | grep Capabilities

Synaptics Capabilities (295): 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0

The list of features available in xorg may bear fruit but will take me some time to work through.

Study required, I think.

Many thanks for an excellent steer.

• DKstallion
    DKstallion Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options
    Ive got the V5 series laptop , and im running ubuntu and mint in VM machine havnt done the duel boot thing yet , and on the VM machine ubuntu seems to work fine with both mouse buttons .