Aspire V5 and Windows 7 display problem

Zigge777
Zigge777 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi.
I have an irritating problem with an Aspire V5-431 which I have just downgraded to Windows 7. To be able to install from a USB-stick I changed from UEFI to Legacy bios, and converted the disk to MBR. Everything went excellent to begin with, Windows was installing fine and everything is running smoothly. Except the Intel HD Graphics drivers.
Whenever I install the graphics drivers and reboot the screen is all messed up. Everything is distorted and double. The only way to get it right again is to uninstall the drivers. As long as Windows is running with the basic VGA drivers, everything looks fine. But low resolution of course.
I have tried multiple different versions of the graphics driver, but they all produce the same issue.
I've googled a bit, and found that I am not the only one with this issue. It apparently has something to do with the secure boot function in the UEFI bios.
I am going crazy over this, not being able to install those drivers. What can I do? Seems like a bug to me..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

it's a legacy BIOS issue, you can't do much....than re-install windows 8.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• copenman
    copenman Member Posts: 19 New User

Zigge777 wrote:
    Hi.
    I have an irritating problem with an Aspire V5-431 which I have just downgraded to Windows 7. To be able to install from a USB-stick I changed from UEFI to Legacy bios, and converted the disk to MBR. Everything went excellent to begin with, Windows was installing fine and everything is running smoothly. Except the Intel HD Graphics drivers.
    Whenever I install the graphics drivers and reboot the screen is all messed up. Everything is distorted and double. The only way to get it right again is to uninstall the drivers. As long as Windows is running with the basic VGA drivers, everything looks fine. But low resolution of course.
    I have tried multiple different versions of the graphics driver, but they all produce the same issue.
    I've googled a bit, and found that I am not the only one with this issue. It apparently has something to do with the secure boot function in the UEFI bios.
    I am going crazy over this, not being able to install those **bleep** drivers. What can I do? Seems like a bug to me..
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

High this driver may work better for you.  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24329/a08/win64_153330.zip&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24329

The steps to install are as follows, I understand it may be visually a little difficult but try also changing the frequezy on the adapter setting to see if it allows for a better visual while doing this.

• Download and unzip drivers to you're hard drive
    • Navigate to Start- Control Panel- System and Maintenance- System- Device Manager
    • Uninstall the video driver
    • Reboot the system
    • As it comes back it will have the default MS VGA driver installed
    • Navigate to Start- Control Panel- System and Maintenance- System- Device Manager
    • Right click on the VGA driver select "Update Driver" and install the new Intel Driver from the location you unzipped it to on your hard drive.
    • Once complete reboot.

• Zigge777
    Hi, thanks a lot for you reply. Unfortunately it didn't help.

I followed your instructions, but Windows won't accept the driver you recommended. It says that the best possible driver is already installed, meaning the standard vga driver. I also tried forcing the driver by choosing "I have a disk" and choosing the Intel HD Graphics driver in the pack you recommended, but Windows says it doesn't match the hardware.

So instead I tried installing a few other driver versions your way through the device manager, for example the newest one from Intels website and an old one from 2012 from acers website. They both install fine, but they both produce exactly the same issue as before.

I also tried updating bios to the latest version, but it made no difference. The oldest version of the bios, version 1.2, which is non-uefi won't install.

I'm getting more and more frustrated over this. There must be a way to install the graphics drivers in Windows 7 without getting a distorted display??
  • copenman

Having you tried the the NVIDIA vga drivers? I ask because many of these laptops have both Intel and NVIDIA.  Here's the link just in case http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4278;-;Aspire%20V5-431 

• Zigge777

Tried the NVIDIA drivers just now, even trying to force them using the "have disk" option. But Windows won't accept them. It's clear that my laptop has Intel Graphics.

Also tried to use windows update, and found new drivers. I let them install, but no.. Same problem. 

A funny thing here, I took a screenshot while the screen was messed up this time, to be able to show you guys. However when I opened the image on another computer, the image is fine! Seems the problem is only "on screen".

Oh, and I also tried all kinds of settings in display settings. Framrate is only available at 60hz, but I tried changing all kinds of other stuff, but nothing helps..

Any other ideas? I really dont wanna go back to Windows 8. I mean, Acer has released Windows 7 drivers for this computer, why won't they work?

• copenman

Zigge777 wrote:

Tried the NVIDIA drivers just now, even trying to force them using the "have disk" option. But Windows won't accept them. It's clear that my laptop has Intel Graphics.

Also tried to use windows update, and found new drivers. I let them install, but no.. Same problem. 

A funny thing here, I took a screenshot while the screen was messed up this time, to be able to show you guys. However when I opened the image on another computer, the image is fine! Seems the problem is only "on screen".

Oh, and I also tried all kinds of settings in display settings. Framrate is only available at 60hz, but I tried changing all kinds of other stuff, but nothing helps..

Any other ideas? I really dont wanna go back to Windows 8. I mean, Acer has released Windows 7 drivers for this computer, why won't they work?

Only one more thing I can think of off hand can you please connect the laptop to an external monitor.  Your comment about the image appear normal on another system is the reason I ask.

Connect the external monitor to the laptop

Press and hold the "Fn" key while pressing "F5" twice

Let me know if your picture appears clear on an external monitor or not.

Thank, Joe

• Zigge777

The image is fine on an external display. This is actually how I've been uninstalling the drivers when the screen is messed up.

This link seems to be a user that has a similar problem. http://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Archives/Acer-Aspire-V5-431P-Windows-8-graphics-problem/td-p/92927

What to do?

• Zigge777

Yet another user with a similar problem: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/341036-intel-hd-graphics-card-display-issue

Seems that the issue is with Legacy bios activated. I guess I'll try to format the hdd and set it to GRP and then reinstall Windows 7. Just hope it helps..

I'd rather not go through reinstalling everything again though... Any last advice? Smiley Happy

• Zigge777

Okay, so this is how it went.. Turns out the Windows 7 installer won't even run properly with UEFI activated. Didn't make it past the "Starting Windows", right at the beginning of the installation. That's before you're even allowed to enter anything at all..

Tried all sorts of combinations, installing from usb or dvd, secure boot in all kinds of modes or disabled, IDE or AHCI.. Same issue, setup freezes and a hard reset is needed.

So I had no choise, I activated Legacy Bios and MBR and installed Windows just fine. This time I took the oportunity though to install the Graphics driver the first thing I did.. Before anything else, just to avoid conflicts. And won't you know it.. Same messed up display as before!

I hopelessly tried a couple of versions but of course no difference.. This is really bugged out!!

Is there any generic display drivers or something that'd at least let me bump up the screen resolution a bit? Or really old Inter HD Graphic ones?

Also took the time to take a photo of the display this time.. Enjoy the view! :-)

Again, any advice is so very very welcome!! But in all honesty, I think what it takes are fixed drivers from Intel or an updated BIOS from Acer..

Picture

• Zigge777

No one? :-/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

it's a legacy BIOS issue, you can't do much....than re-install windows 8.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Zigge777
    Okay, thx for your reply!
    I actually went with the standard vga driver.. Resolution is fine, but things like video are still choppy and a bit messed up.. But it works for me, it's a work computer.. And I'd rather have a slightly messed up display and win7 than win8 any day of the week! :-P
    A bit disappointing though.. Why would acer post win7 drivers on their webpage if it's all bugged out anyway? :-/