Screen Protector on Switch 12

Options
Felix35
Felix35 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello,

I recently bought An Acer Switch 12 touch screen FHD. And I'm wondering if I'll need a screen protection to avoid any scratches.

The laptop is under gorilla glass 3, hence no need for any protection. But, I feel like the dust combined with  the moves (especially closing apps) could do damages to the screen. I only use it indoors.

What does the community recommend? (real experience feedbacks would be appreciated, even if it concerns other models)

(In addition, after a quick search, I can't find any compatible guard right now)

Thx in advance

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If it has gorilla glass, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Felix35

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks philetus,

What I want to know (precisely) is the real state of the slate in 6 months, used almost on a daily basis. Would It be as slick/new as today, or some micro-scratches are somehow inévitable.

This said, there's still nothing on the markets, unless one opts for cellophane Smiley Happy

• Ahzriaz
    Ahzriaz Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Hi,

I own a switch 10 and do advice to use a screen protector.

My screen has a line with scratches at the point where it meets the keyboard/mouse pad. 

From closing the screen and moving the device the keyboard doc has scratched the screen. 

The should have placed a better cushion around the dock.

Kind regards. 

• Felix35

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks ahzriaz for your feedback.

I've been using the Switch 12 for almost 2 months now without protection, the screen is still intact.

note that the screen is in the opposite side of the keyboard on the switch 12 Smiley Wink

• QuintenG
    QuintenG Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi there,

If i was you, and was using it daily i would get a screen protector.

I myself have got the switch 12 also.

I dropped it from let say 50 cm's on a wooden floor, and i got a cracked screen on the top right corner.

The crack is in the black bezel, so it isnt annoying.

Now i noticed that i have a scratch on my left side also, and again in the black bezel area.

I've been swearing and cursing myself for not paying the appropiate ammount of attention for my device..

FYI, at the moment i'm running  Windows 10 Build 10074 wich runs flawelesly on the switch 12 Smiley Happy
    If you could link me compatible screen protectors that would be awesome Smiley Happy

thx & hope this helped

• asloft07
    asloft07 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have a new Alpha Switch 12 (SA5-271) and want to put some sort of protection on the screen. I would prefer tempered glass, like I have on my smartphone, but cannot find any for this model Acer. Most of the "traditional" protectors specify "Acer Aspire Switch 12." I'm not sure what model that is, but people who have purchased its screen protector for use on the SA5-271 say it doesn't fit. First, do the references to "Switch 12" in this thread apply only to the "Acer Aspire Switch 12?" And second, does anyone have any screen protector suggestions for my specific model (Alpha Switch 12 SA5-271)? TIA

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,759 Trailblazer
    Options

The original Switch 12 was quite a different form factor than the current Switch Alpha 12. There is quite a lot more bezel around the display and the keyboard dock is permanently attached to the display portion.

Since the new one is ... new, I expect it'll take some time before the vendors start offering screen protectors.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jesta192
    jesta192 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    This is a bit overdue, but for anyone interested, Corning claims that the Switch Alpha 12 uses Gorilla Glass 3.

https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/products-with-gorilla/acer/acer-switch-alpha12.html