Iconia W510 Replacement AC adapter

tonyjcox
tonyjcox Member Posts: 3 New User

Where can I get a replacement AC adapter for the Iconia W510?

Best Answer

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

You can order replacement parts at http://store.acer.com/.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just don't look under the W510, all you will find is the dock. The W510 power supply is here: http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/productID.263846800/parentCategoryID.60085200/

• tonyjcox

Thanks very much for the link. This is exactly what I am after however I'm in the UK and it doesn't appear that I can get it shipped here.

I can't seem to find it on the UK site either.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
  • padgett

If Acer had just used a standard connector we would not have this issue. Unless the manufacturers can agree on a standard docking connector with USB, HDMI, and power, I suspect it will kill or greatly diminish the market. This is just dumb.

One of the advantages to an iPhone/iPod/iPad is that they use the same connector. Apple does other dumb things but not that.

Just a suggestion but the Malata DS-A002 for my G-Tablet, Z-Pad,  and other tablets provides all of the above plus a RJ-45 network connection and the connector is almost the same. (Anyone have a pinout for the Acer docking connector or is that proprietary information ?)

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

padgett wrote:

If Acer had just used a standard connector we would not have this issue. Unless the manufacturers can agree on a standard docking connector with USB, HDMI, and power, I suspect it will kill or greatly diminish the market. This is just dumb.

One of the advantages to an iPhone/iPod/iPad is that they use the same connector. Apple does other dumb things but not that.

)

padgett, you're not making much sense here.

At first you express a desire for a cross-manufacturer industry standard for a docking/charge connector.

Yet you then error by bringing up Apple as an example for consistent praise, neglecting that they have recently been lambasted for changing their 'standardised' connector, and of being the single smart phone manufacturer that is notorious for retaining a proprietary connection and shunning the standardised micro-USB connector.

Critical disconnects there for your intended argument.

This is a PC -- not a smart phone. A device with a docking station and varying accessories that a manufacturer decide to incorporate into it could be greatly hampered each design cycle if a strict adherence is maintained to standardised connector.  For example, an extra HDD in the dock by an OEM?  eSATA, thunderbolt, USB3, or just stuck at USB2 for connectivity?  What's the standard?  Will that standard enforcee expectations for extra chipsets to permit connectivity?  Of all those, our W510 only has USB2. 

Beyond that, not all computers have the same power and charging requirements, further increasing a practical standard for a connector and power inverter.  There is not and, as it stands by device power engineering, a standardised power connector for portable computers. Padgett, there will not be a standardised connector/docking port for computers.

• tonyjcox

Perfect. Thanks very much for your help.

• padgett

Interesting, standardization was one of the great inventions of the 1800's and led to the whole industrial revolution. Power supplies are already standards, 5v or 12v. If 5v then USB is the common connector.

No one said you can't do individual things just the the dock connector and pinout for 5 & 12v power, USB, and HDMI should be standard. As individual connectors they already are. Maybe add a SATA data allocation or LRG for sound as well.

Not having standards is the primary reason there is no car charger for the W510 and a spare $20 power supply is $50.

Is being a Luddite becoming popular again ?

• johnjamesmason
    johnjamesmason Member Posts: 2 New User

i purchased a spare from the australian online acer store on 30 may 2013 as a backup for when i inevitably leave my adaptor somewhere.  and it happenned.  when i go to use my spare on 2 july (33 days later) it was a dead on arrival and non functioning.  4 attempts to have this situation recognised by acer have failed.  there is not an SNID on adaptor and without one, acer wont recognise it???  then i am told it is out of warranty (acer support web site says 1 year waarranty on accessories).  sales cant help me because it is warranty issue.  i have now spent 3 hours plus on a $45 AUD stuff up.  what can i do? 

This discussion has been closed.