How to enable D2D recovery-don 't have the BIOS option on aspire V5 471

Options
2»

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I grew impatient after only a few hours....I can't imagine going a week.  Smiley Wink

So here's what I did......

1. I wiped the drive clean using diskpart clean and used my original Acer windows 8.1 USB factory default recovery drive that I made using Acer Recovery Management Software.  Not sure if I needed to take this step but I did.  If you don't have a USB factory default recovery drive, I guess you can skip steps 1-3.  Smiley Wink

2.  I then used the Windows 10 media tool and selected "Upgrade this PC"

3.  After it upgraded, I check to see if it activated and it did.

4.  I grabbed an empty 32 GB USB flash drive that I had laying around and used the Microsoft Windows 10 media tool and created an installation USB using their tool and selected "install on a different PC"

5.  I wiped the HDD clean with diskpart clean and installed Windows 10 on the entire unallocated space using that USB drive that I made in step 4.

6.  For whatever reason, this clean installation behaved a little different.  It didn't offer me a chance to sign in using my Microsoft account (Windows live account).  It forced me to create a local acoount.  So I did that and after it was done installling everything, I checked to see if it was activated, and it was activated.

I have no idea why it worked this time.  The only thing that I did differently was to create a new USB drive, and I did disconnect my ethernet cable before the installation began.  Eventually it asked me to select internet connection and I did.

Maybe it's both an OS problem and a server problem, and you'll probably have to start over from scratch if you're wanting to do a clean install.

But definitely keep trying to get your recovery partition before you try this as that will potentially save you $50 if you have to ever order from acer.

If you still have your acer recovery partition on your HDD, that probably means that you didn't do a true clean install.  A true clean install is on a raw unformatted, unpartioned, uninitialised HDD.

Edit: I did switch over to my Microsoft account and the clean install of windows 10 remains activated.  When I went to "verify" my identiy using that little code they send you, it kept giving me a server error.  After about an hour, it worked.  So I think it's safe to say their servers are either overloaded or a little wonky or a combination of both.  But I still think you'll have to start over from scratch... and use "diskpart clean"....even if you manage to get your acer recovery partition off there to a USB drive.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maxray
    maxray Member Posts: 22 New User
    Options

Hi Iron Fly,

Its me again Smiley Very Happy

I have taken a different approach. reinstalled windows 8.1 by usb media just to get the option "copy the recovery partition from pc to the recovery drive"

Did the xml edit and reagent disable/enable but the option still greyed out. any sugestion?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if it's greyed out, probably you missed something on editing XML file, double check it if possible and be sure to use an XML edit sofwtare.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you figure it out?