Ram Memory Upgrae for Aspire 5315

Options
twistywillow
twistywillow Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, I have a laptop that is now starting to  show its age. I run it on win7 Home Premium(64bit) and have done since buying it, taking Vista off it within the first month. I have had very few problems with it in the past 7 years, a bit of over heating etc but nothing I couldnt deal with. 4 months ago it had it first format since that initial install, purely to try and clean up and get rid of junk and speed the system up again which had been getting slower and slower. This appeared to be ok, but after all the updates and rubbish ms tried to put back on, the same sort of thing happened again only much worse I noticed that the ran was always running at 95% and  the poor old girl was lagging like it was going out of fashion. We have also noticed the rom drive is now not reading all discs, making any attempt to reinstall software impossible. I have tried various changes of browser to find one that doesnt chew the heck out of the ram and cannot find one that is light enough for the machine now. My partner says its time to upgrade the ram or install a second stick. Its got 1gb in it now.
What I want to know is, is this possible and what sort do I need to get for it? oh and will it make a difference.

The machine gets used for general surfing and for emails through msessentials. It is too slow and laggy to do anthing at all else. I dont allow auto updates,ve turned off any other updates for stuff it doesnt need, and yet it is now taking on average 5 minutes to start a browser and a further 3 to load one page. This doesnt seem to be any different for any of them but currently running waterfox (fire fox for 64bit) on it or Iron (which causes over heating becayse its a google based browser)
I have seriously toyed with changing to Ubuntu except that the wireless adapter driver doesnt work through ubuntu and my linux abilities to add change coding etc are non existant and until they sort that out, I would prefer to stay with Win7.

I do wonder if its time to retire the old girl now instead since she cant handle it anymore.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I do wonder if its time to retire the old girl now instead since she cant handle it anymore.>>>

Nah. Do some experimentation and have some more fun with it. And look for a super sale on a newer machine while you're having fun.

Your bios will probably support more than the 2GB advertised max. Memory's cheap nowadays. Try 4GB. Your CD drive probably just needs a good vacuuming. Wouldn't hurt to vacuum your air intake ports while you're at it. Blow thru the exhaust port too. Chase those dust bunnies outta there. Your HDD is probably pretty slow too. New ones are a lot cheaper, bigger and faster. Try Amazon. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ