acer switch 10 severe battery drain

xyzaid
xyzaid Member Posts: 42 Troubleshooter
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

hi

i've got a Acer Switch 10 tablet since some weeks and apparently my unit is suffering severe battery drain while in sleep mode... looking at this forum it seems i'm not the only one with this problem so it does not seem to be an isolated problem.

today once again i found my tablet completely drained after charging it at 100% yesterday night... and i confirm this problem is coming from the Switch 10 because before i had the Acer W4 tablet it did not suffer from this problem...

tomorrow i'll open a case to acer support but i wonder if someone has succeeded in resolving this (apparently) hardware problem ?

please don't reply answers like i have to shut it down all night, or shut down wifi all night, or apply tweaks in usb settings or things like that, my previous acer w4 unit was perfect without doing all this ; and all other (children) tablets or computers running at home does not have this problem also ;-)

ps: i ran powercfg -energy and while it reports problem while the tablet is running it does not say what it the problem when the tablet is in sleep (connected) mode

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the issue you got, right its a H/w issue & better suggested to call Acer support, to get the warranty service, cheers
  • hkstiong
    hkstiong Member Posts: 21 New User

did you decide to replace your W4 with the switch 10?

• xyzaid

hkstiong:

i just sent you a pm Smiley Wink

finally my acer switch 10 is going back to acer rma tomorrow... i'll let you know if this isssue is solved then...

this morning i find the unit discharged again and the battery tray icon had an exclamation mark saying it could not find the battery.....tonight it seems ok .... rather strange it could be a faulty battery...

• Plastixx
    Plastixx Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You need to do powercfg /sleepstudy if you want to see what's going on during nap time.

• xyzaid

thank you

too bad i could not have this option before...anyway my tablet is now in Acer Support and i guess they'll probably diagnose with this command Smiley Wink

• xyzaid

hi

my unit is back ! and unfortunately acer support said they didn't see any problem Smiley Sad

so they only re installed windows from scratch Smiley Sad ......

now i'm applying all windows updates and i'll try the 100%-charged-then-sleep-during-night test to see if the problem still exists.... see you tomorrow !

• xyzaid

hello i can confirm that my battery drain problem is still there......

here is the powercfg /sleepstudy report :

Top Offenders

Top 5 offenders, ranked by active time

NAME TYPE % ACTIVE TIME ACTIVE TIME

Contrôleur d’hôte compatible xHCI USB (\_SB.PCI0.XHC1)Fx Device100%7:28:29
    I2C Controller (\_SB.I2C7)Fx Device80%5:59:35
    CPU C0 TimeProcessor4%0:18:23
    Contrôleur hôte numérique sécurisé Intel (\_SB.SDHA)Fx Device1%0:04:07
    I2C Controller (\_SB.I2C1)Fx Device1%0:03:52
  • xyzaid

hi there

it's 2 days my acer switch 10 seems not to loose too much battery at night...what did i do ? well i did some cleanup in installed software, mainly in Acer bloatwares Smiley Happy  at now i only have:

-aop framework

-acer recovery management

-identity card

-live updater

I removed all other acer softwares and some pre installed windows metro style software.

Now powercfg /sleepstudy shows nothing too much abnormal, latest data says top 5 offenders are less than 5%, except yestarday night when they say around 20-29% of active time..... perhaps a clue ?

• mtsiakiris
    mtsiakiris Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there!

I had the same problem on iconia w1-810 8inch tablet.

AOP Framework BURNS THE CPU!!!!!

Battery runs out in a couple of hours when locked! 35% CPU constant!!!

All people there, UNISTALL ALL ACER PRE INSTALLED APPS WHEN YOU RUN A LOW PERFORMANCE LAPTOP-NETBOOK OR TABLET!!!!!

• xyzaid

ok i'll try asap to uninstall all acer bloatwares because my battery drain problem is still there....

i'll let you know the result in a couple of days

thanks

• ironman_gene
    ironman_gene Member Posts: 8 New User

I want to share my experience regarding placing my tablet into sleep mode. I have an Acer Switch 10 (1st gen), It seems there are other means in doing this. I have recently, experimented with using a magnet on my tablet, a ref magnet to be exact. Now you might be thinking what does a magnet have to do with this. Read on and you might find this insightful. I was thiking how come when my tablet is in netbook mode (keyboard attached) the screen shuts off or the tablet seems to go into standby mode everytime I close it out or use the keyboard as the cover (you get the idea).

I tinkered with the keyboard by letting a paper clip go around near the edges, (since that is the most sensible way to find out if there is a magnet), yup found it on the lower right a quarter and an inch from the edge facing you or coming from you I should say, is the magnet. I tried using a ref magnet next to place it opposite (without the keyboard attached) on the edge of the screen, to see if my tablet would go to sleep (or mimik a closed lid). Yup it did. I finally got hold of a thinner magnet cut it into 1 by 1 inch and glued it on my leather case cover. Now when I close my leather case my tablet sleeps (or at least mimiks a closed lid). BTW, my power setting for close lid and power button are both go on standby also I got a leather case for my tablet this Christmas.

Now since I have a modified leather case with the magnet as trigger to put my tablet into standby mode, there are NO BATTERY DRAIN! I found this out by accident, when I used it before going to sleep, after using my tablet I was falling asleep, I closed the leather case cover with the magnet, of course my tablet went into standby mode. When I woke up the next morning it is on the same battery %. If I remembered right it was 45% last night when I fell asleep, and when I used it the next morning, it it still on the same 45% battery! Wow, this is great, now I don't need to use the power button to place it on standby and have a battery draining. I just use the "close lid" method.

Also I will try the powercfg method here to monitor if there are anything happening with my "magnet method" of putting into standby.

• xyzaid

hi ironman Smiley Happy

well your experience is quite strange : what would be the difference with closing the lid with Acer keyboard (which obviously has a magnet too) and your leather case ? in both case the tablet does go to connected standby mode so i guess it should be the same not ?

anyway thanks for your report. this means our tablet still can go to connected standby and not loose any battery level! ... sometimes...... the question remains why sometimes it works and why most of the time not....

however as i remove all acer bloatware yesterday it only loose 6% battery during the last night.... so let's wait and see...

• mtsiakiris
    mtsiakiris Member Posts: 4 New User
    Standby mode on windows keeps the power running to the memory and some peripherals like keyboard, touchpad and mouse. Only cpu is put into a sleep mode. This mode uses battery power and in some hours the battery will drain. Hibernation is a complete power off but needs more time to boot up again when you press the button. Although, any running apps stops but any open files are there after the boot. I think that all is how loaded our system is with common windows apps and services like antivirus, tools, etc. Those things are not suitable for low performance cpus on tablets. I just have only the minimum user applications that I need and during night I lose about 6-7% of battery. I also think this is a lot too if I compare to my iPad mini where even 2 days it is not loosing more than 1%. This is because no background apps are running compared to windows. Just to remind you I own the iconia w1-810 tab.
  • xyzaid
    mtsiakiris,
    i disagree with you thinking it is normal drain : i also have an ipad mini and it looses only some % during night although wifi is on. besides i owned the Acer W4 tablet before and it did not have this battery drain trouble while it was also in connected standby mode...
    so i think the problem comes from the Switch 10 hardware or drivers...

• xyzaid

hi again

well well, last night battery drain appeared again... and sleepstudy says it comes from FX Device :

Top Offenders

Top 5 offenders, ranked by active time

NAME TYPE % ACTIVE TIME ACTIVE TIME

Contrôleur d’hôte compatible xHCI USB (\_SB.PCI0.XHC1)Fx Device100%8:45:10
    I2C Controller (\_SB.I2C7)Fx Device58%5:06:16
    CPU C0 TimeProcessor7%0:37:55
    Contrôleur hôte numérique sécurisé Intel (\_SB.SDHA)Fx Device3%0:17:17
    Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO AdapterNetworking2%0:09:53

looking on the internet, it seems the lenovo miix2 has the same problem :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-based-Tablets/Miix-2-8-Battery-Drain-Unregistered-Device-SB-I2C3-under-Fx/td-p/1595920

and they said it appears with a windows update....

also the del venue :

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19564474

whow....

• xyzaid

hi here

since 2 days, before putting my tablet into sleep mode, i remove it from the dock. and apparently there's no battery drain problem since i do that. i've to confirm doing this for one week to be sure.

can everyone try to see if removing the tablet from the dock also prevent the battery drain of their acer switch ?

• hgmartin9
    hgmartin9 Member Posts: 132 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Connected to the dock I use about 1.25% battery an hour during sleep mode.

Not connected to the dock I use about 1% battery an hour during sleep mode.

• Arjnoro
    Arjnoro Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have an acer switch 11,and my laptop switches without notice suddenly even though the computer is 100 charged. I ve installed the latest drivers, reinstalled windows, battery info app shows healthy battery.  If i use it with charger or usb charger it wont turn off. Only with battery. I love the laptop and its practically new but this problems makes it almost useless. I have a nextbook that never fails.