Acer Iconia (A1-810) and Android 5.0 Lolipop Update?

Options
necrospiritus
necrospiritus Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

We are here again with new update, new android, new questions, new curiosity. I wonder will Acer Iconia tablets specially A1-810  get an update to 5.0(Lolipop) ? I read acer devices will get an update but which devices and when?

Answers

• PAPY1950
    PAPY1950 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Sorry my answer doesn't solve your problem but I ask the same question for my B1-710 
    I just wonder Why Acer doesn't let Tablet Owner decide if thez want to install new version of Android ?
    We are at their mercy, and lord knows when the update will be posted....

I recently had a fals hope reading this on Acer Web site 

"

" This article only applies to: Acer A100, Acer A200, Acer A210, Acer A500, Acer A501, Acer A510, Acer 700, Acer A1-810, Acer B1-710, Gateway G1-715

SYMPTOMS

Updates to the Android operating system are now provided directly from Google instead of coming from Acer. If you attempt to check for software updates on our older tablets, you may get the message "Update service temporarily unavailable"

So I said Finaly.... Acer will let Tablet Owner decide by themself... But according to the answer I received here on the forum , We will NEVER have this chance 
    "

That particular article is more meant to allow customers to have the option to load the different versions of the available android versions for their model and if they missed an update to the newer version. If you check those models on the Drivers and Manuals page, you will find that we have provided the full image for each version that was made available to that unit.

With that said, not all tablets will have the same Android versions available to them or they may not receive any more scheduled release dates for any other Android versions for this tablet."

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Options

It is much more accurate to look at it from the point of view of the expense required to port a new OS release to an old device. It is quite expensive in, terms of dollars or man-hours, to do a port. The typical user keeps their tablet about two years, then upgrades to a newer model, similar to phone owners. Putting the development effort into a design that is two of more years old just doesn't make financial sense.

There are community supported ports to newer OSes, but again it wouldn't fiscally responsible for a manufacturer to officially support those efforts because then they'd have to provide technical support without really knowing it's going to work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bolix
    bolix Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Well, it does make financial sense when users migrate to another maker that does give longer support for their products. 

• PAPY1950
    Options

All this could make sence if you look at it fron ACER side
    But from a tablet Owner...It look more as a lack of service or worst a strategy to sell more tablet when the one we have are still in good shape (exept for the out-of-date OS ) 
    So why acer doesn't give owners a link to the new OS and advise them that there are no support for it ?
    What would it cost them exactly ?
    As far As I know  Nothing prevent owner to test it themself and revert to their original OS if they have a problem ! ! ! 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Well first of all, the generic OS as delivered by Google doesn't run. It has to be changed to match the hardware (not just the processor/memory combo, but all the peripherals as well) and then compiled and configured into something installable. All that takes time for programmers to do, and it's only typically a small proportion of the actual work, since now the software needs to be tested for each locale and each peripheral.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MrPikachu1998
    MrPikachu1998 Member Posts: 26 New User
    Options

Have you dealt with the minimal lag and shortened battery life from the KitKat update? The update could be a battery hogger and may lag a lot more. It also could take a lot of space since (and I quote from myself) this company decides to add bloatware almost no one would enjoy as of yet (I enjoyed the AccuWeather app for a while) and would like to be removed, the update could be as big as a gigabyte from my perspective.

• emgi2
    emgi2 Member Posts: 39 Troubleshooter
    Options

Will get Acer Iconia A1-810 LOLLIPOP update?

If no, can you give me link to download it?

If yes, do you know when?

Thanks for answer.

(Sory for my english)

• MrPikachu1998
    Options

There isn't going to be a lollipop update. Either upgrade or just keep the current OS and Tablet you have.

To everyone else, I'm thinking as a birthday present next year, to upgrade my tablet and give my old one to one of my parents.

• emgi2
    Options

But Acer Iconia A1-810 can run android lollipop.

I have this link where it is working. My friend tried it and work it! But i don't want download it.

Link: http://www.50lollipop.org/mp3-0/acer-iconia-tab-a1-810-5399.html

(Sory for my english)

• PAPY1950
    Options

Bull... This is one of those FAKE site that ask you to complete a survey before beeinbg able to Download, and Even if you comply you still CAN NOT get the file .......

So ti me your link isw A FAKE unless I can try this upgrade from a REAL Download page 

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads or content and is not responsible for them. Acquiring files through such links or using directions found there is at the user’s own risk.

• beerandhotwings
    beerandhotwings Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    Thanks for the info. Can you share any information about whether or not the A1 tablets will be getting Lollipop?
  • MrPikachu1998
    Options

If it does get it, I'm going to be surprised because the A1 tablets must be as old as 2 years. Well the one I have anyway.

• beerandhotwings
    beerandhotwings Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I was referring to the A1-810 and a1-830 models. The latter was just released within the past year and is still promoted on Acer's website.
  • MrPikachu1998
    Options

I have an A1-810 tablet.

• emgi2
    Options

If Acer think that update will take very battery, so thats true but it have own battery saver and tablet will work faster. So I not see problem with update.   (Sory for my english)

• MrPikachu1998
    Options

Uhh... Yeah sure

• emgi2
    Options

Can you please add on some page or here list of devices which will get lollipop update???? That will be easier for users which will not get update. (Sory for my english)

• PAPY1950
    Options

Read This I found this article searching for an update for my Tablet ...

«After Talking to Acer then Google Android's team...that shoot me right back at Acer...Saying it is to them to make all updates available ...for now they are locked by Acer team.
    Even thought they want you to believe that they have not finished testing KitKat with Iconia A1-810...
    They are lying...because...not only they are not doing any test...they just stopped supporting this device and locked it to Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    They will not confirm you this over the phone or on Chat .
    But clearly Acer will not update this tablet like the advertisement said when we all purchased the unit.

Nothing in the hardware would prevent the unit to get KitKat...and even the new L upcoming...(asides from certains feature that won't work because of it's hardware limitations)

So...Acer is fooling us... +

Be aware that the Heartbleed fault issue for security is not protected from when on Jelly Bean 4.2.2.
    Google advises all to update to the latest KitKat 4.4.3 to get protection from the Heartbleed.

It will be stuck with the present 4.2.2. Jelly Bean.
    Not only they have no intention of updating it...
    But they already support other newer models like the A1-830 that is updatable to KitKat.

Because when we purchased this unit...it was said it you be updatable garanteed.

SO WHAT IS GOING ON ACER ?????? CAN WE HAVE INFORMATION ??? 

[edited to comply with guidelines]