Acer Aspire M5-481PT will not start up normally or shut down

kayakevan
kayakevan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

So I've been trying to fix this problem for about 3 months now with no avale.  About three months ago I was using my laptop and it was working fine and I closed it and set it aside, not pluged in.  My power settings were that nothing happened other than the screen turns off when I close the lid.  Well the next day I went to use my laptop and i opened it and hit the power button but it was dead, so I plugged it in and pressed the power button and still nothing happened.  The only way I can turn the laptop on is to use the small battery reset button on the back of the computer.  Once it turns on it starts up no problem, nothing out of the ordinary.  When I use it and try to shut it down regardless of whether I press the power button or go to the power button on the menu to shut it down it goes through the shutdown and the monitor shuts off for about 3 seconds and then the computer turns back on. 

I have done everything I can think of to get the computer to work.  I have reinstalled windows 8.1 from a disk after completely restoring my laptop.  I opened the computer up and disconnected the battery for a few minutes, I tried to start the laptop in safe mode, I reinstalled the BIOS, I have run all the troubleshooting and run windows update to make sure everything is up to date.  I tried to use the support on here, messaging with the support and he didnt seem to try to help me, just said I would need to ship my laptop to them and then they would have it for 2-3 weeks from the date they recieved it.  I just cant afford to give up my laptop for that amount of time when it works fine other than shutting down and turning back on.  The restart feature seems to work just fine. 

I have run out of things to try.  Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

kayakevan,

It looks like you have done everuthing in your power to try and fix the issue. And I apologize you are having a problem with the system being able to start up normally. I understand that you do not want to be without the unit but it seems like there is a problem somewhere between the battery and motherboard. The only thing I can suggest at this point is use your warranty to get this resolved.

• Franz2984
    Franz2984 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Im having the same problem with my m5-481..i tried resetting it buy presing the small button underneath but it just starts with the acer logo then it will power down...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,445 Trailblazer

Franz---What was the original factory-installed Windows version? What version is it now? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ