Aspire ZS600 Graphics Card Installation

ovrom
ovrom Member Posts: 2 New User

I am a noob here but I wanted to ask about a specific detail with this computer that I have(the Aspire ZS600) and the questions apply to other AIOs that I have that are similar (Gateway AIOs - 1 ZX6980, and 1 ZX 6970).

When I first discovered that I could install a GPU card in this computer in the provided PCIE slot on the motherboard, I was truly shocked!  I have always wanted to build a custom AIO and now I have(or trying to do so!).

However, what is the correct way to actually install a graphics card into this machine to get it to connect and run through the motherboard?

I found a service manual for this model but my version did not have a graphics card already installed.  I recently installed a Zotac Geforce GTX 750 Low Profile graphics card which runs at 55w, which meets the spec within the service manual for this AIO.

This brings me to my main question.  The manual states that there is a slot on the motherboard for an input from the output of a PCI-E VGA card/source.  Here is what is says exactly,

On-board connectors

1  20pin header for DVI signal-in form VGA card. (BOM option)

What exactly does this mean?  Is there such a cable?  Does it attach to the DVI or VGA port from an installed video card and plug in directly to this 20pin input on the motherboard?

I have searched and searched for such a cable to no avail.  I have read the document(Acer AZS600_Pt/AZS600_P SERVICEGUIDE) From top to bottom many times.  The manual even shows a configuration of a similar AZS600 with a video card already in it but I don't know how it is connected internally or if it just works through the PCI-E slot itself?  I have found other models with similar configurations but I don't have one on hand(like the Acer Aspire Z3 Z3771).  Perhaps I am missing something?

Searching the service guide further it shows a detailed schematic of the motherboard but does not describe the 20pin connection.  The motherboard is marked with the alphanumeric code P178 right next to the 20pin connector/header on this ZS600 model.  It looks like it is the only 20pin connector available on the entire motherboard.

On the Gateway ZX6970 with similar motherboard and PCI-E slot it has the same 20pin input marked with the same P178 connector number.  I would assume it is the same for the z3771 and the ZX6980 that I have but I have not taken apart either.

So my question is am I correct in assuming that this is in fact an input connector for a video card output?  Can such a connection be made?  If so what cables are out there to make such a connection?  Will the motherboard recognize it and switch to it? 

Sorry for so many questions I just think it is so cool that Acer made motherboards like this and if in fact it was designed to support graphics cards in such a manner...well..brilliant!  I would love to make it happen!

I am currently running an HDMI cable out from my video card back in through the HDMI input on the motherboard.  It is working and all but pretty ghetto and I I have to switch the PC HDMI selector button a lot to tell the computer, which input to look at.  Also my audio wont work and I can't seem to stop the computer from sending the audio through the video card to a screen that has no audio out etc etc.

Wow I will stop b4 I get ahead of myself

I hope my questions are clear somewhere in there.  I hope someone here can help or direct me to a source with the solution.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Answers

• ovrom
    ovrom Member Posts: 2 New User

anybody have any ideas? still looking to solve this if at all possible.

• cotythom
    cotythom Member Posts: 3 New User

I too have been looking for a way to get the machine to accept a new card to drive a 4K display.  My research indicates that the PCI-E slot is a bit of a legacy from a time when our machine's display driver was not integrated into the motherboard.  Now that it is, all the cabling runs from the motherboard instead of the card.  I also understand that the card was specifically designed for Acer.

That being said, the slot is probably still active.  My plan (once my wife and daughter have tired of watching TV on the little 4K display I got) is to take the mounting bracket off a card designed for a tower style computer while leaving the output ports supported and insulated somehow (crude, but wrapping with a few really wide elastic bands has worked for me in the past).  I think a really carefully weilded coping saw might be able to remove enough of the bracket to make one fit.

Then, you would have to be willing to drill a new hole in the casing to allow the connector from whatever external display you are wanting to connect to get at the port on the card.

Presumably, the needed software drivers will come with the card.

Haven't done this yet, but if you are feeling adventurous and want to give it a go first, I would be happy to hear the result.

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Anyone get anywhere with this? would like to drop in a low profile 750ti if possible.... 

• Jbentley
    Jbentley Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

How did you put a graphics card in your zs600? Could you please let me know. Is it difficult? Would like to try it!

Thank you,