Acer Iconia A3-A10 won't connect to wifi since kitkat update

Options
lori93
lori93 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
So I've had my acer iconia for about 5 months and have never had a problem with wifi connectivity until the kitkat update. When I attempt to connect to the internet, it says the usual: connecting, authenticating, but it gets stuck on Obtaining IP address and then starts looping back to connecting. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Please help!

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi..

Tap APPS > Settings, then select wireless & networks
    Press and hold on your network name and you will get an option with "forgot network" displayed. Now turn OFF the WiFi network and turn OFF the tablet
    Now you need to perform a hardware reset, Insert a paperclip into the hardware reset pin hole and press for four seconds to reset the tabletThe hardware reset pin hole is located between the HDMI Micro connector and Stereo speakers
    Power On the tablet and try connecting to your WiFi network.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi..

Tap APPS > Settings, then select wireless & networks
    Press and hold on your network name and you will get an option with "forgot network" displayed. Now turn OFF the WiFi network and turn OFF the tablet
    Now you need to perform a hardware reset, Insert a paperclip into the hardware reset pin hole and press for four seconds to reset the tabletThe hardware reset pin hole is located between the HDMI Micro connector and Stereo speakers
    Power On the tablet and try connecting to your WiFi network.

• lori93
    Options
    Thank you Saranji, this fixed my internet connectivity problem! Now I have a very unstable connection. Every time I attempt to go on a website or go on an application the internet goes out and comes back almost immediatly, but goes out again when I retry to visit the website or application. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you.
  • CanadaJim
    CanadaJim Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

How closely have you looked at your WiFi router?  Do you have the same problems on other WiFi connections, such as coffe shop hotspots or a friend's house?  It sounds to me like you've got a flaky router, and the new tablet OS isn't as forgiving as the old one was.

• lori93
    Options
    I'm actually having trouble with my school internet, it seems to work fine at home. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, so I'm confused as to what the problem is. Do you think it could be the school internet? Is there any way to fix that problem? Thank you.
  • CanadaJim

Tinkerer

Options

It could be that the location you're in has poor connectivity to two separate wifi access points/routers.  If so, it'll disconnect from one and connect to another randomly.  This can be caused by interfering radio waves, people walking by, and many other things.  I did notice in the Jelly Bean version that the wifi really "stuck" to a connected access point, even if there was a much stronger one closer.  With KitKat, they seem to have changed the logic to move more easily to a different access point.

My testing showed that with Jelly Bean, I would walk into my building, and go to my desk.  I would have minimal service strength even though there is an access point 5 feet away.  If I disconnected/reconnected wifi, it would have full strength.  This led me to believe what I mentioned above.

With KitKat, it always connects me to the access point by my desk, indicating that it doesn't "stick" as much to a connected access point.

To check if this is the case for you, move really close to one access point and see if the problem persists.  If not, that's likely the problem.

The only way to fix this is to have them add another access point closer to you, or increase the signal strength of the existing access points.  Signal strength increases should be a quick and free fix.  For a $100 access point and a couple of hours of labour, it shouldn't be too expensive but may take several weeks, depending on who is supporting you and how they do business.

Let us know what happens, and good luck!

• CARYLJOY24
    CARYLJOY24 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

my acer tablet wont connect to wifi it keep on saying authentication problem what should i do.. ? need help instantly..

• CanadaJim

Tinkerer

Options
    It seems you are using the wrong WiFi password. Make sure you pay attention to capital and/or lower case letters. Most default passwords these days (the ones with letters and numbers) require capital letters.