BIOS Update "not for upgrades"

LeonardK
LeonardK Member Posts: 14 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hello,

I own an Aspire V3-571G Notebook with ArchLinux dual-booting Win8.1. When I'm starting Arch I get this (Ivybridge-/Sandybridge -related) error:

"[drm:cpt_serr_int_handler] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun"

After research I think a BIOS Update should fix the problem. But in the BIOS-section there is a confusing line:

"BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)"

So, does that mean:

a) not for those who had Win8/8.1 pre-installed (like me) or

b) not for those who have run an inplace upgrade of Win7 to Win8/8.1 instead of a clean install?

Does anyone know what this note means?

Thanks for any answers,

Leonard

Best Answer

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately, there is not a way to update the system from a BIOS to UEFI.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer

Leonard,

That line means that that BIOS is designed for systems that shipped with Windows 8 or later. That BIOS is not intended for someone who upgraded to Windows 8 from a Windows 7 system.

• LeonardK

so it's a hardware problem and not a software one? so the model shipped with win8 is hardware-different from the one with win7? This would be sad.

If it is so -there is no other way to use UEFI instead of the BIOS? I want to use GUID Partition Tables (GPT) , that's why Im asking.

• Blayn-Acer

I can't say if your problem is hardware related or software related, as you are inquiring about loading Linux, which I am unable to provide support for. If your system runs ok with Acer OEM software, it most likely does not have a hardware problem.

For systems that shipped with a BIOS, there is no way to upgrade it to UEFI by using any downloads we offer on our site. Some systems that shipped with Windows 7, were upgradeable to Windows 8, but did not offer support for upgrading from BIOS to UEFI.

• LeonardK

It's nothing about Linux actually.

But the second thing is closer to what I want: I want to upgrade from BIOS to UEFI. There is a UEFI installable in the Updates section of my laptop so I asked, whether I can use this... . It's just that the note was very irritating.

But is there the possibility to upgrade to UEFI for *this* specific model?

• Blayn-Acer
    Answer ✓

• LeonardK

hm, okay, that's sad

• peacey
    peacey Member Posts: 1 New User

to LeonardK.

the post on ur V3-571G interested me as i am a proud owner of said acer model and i don't often see the V3-571G

featured in many support posts.My V3 has the UEFI in the F2 boot sys.The V3 i have was built SEPT 2012 and it came

with WINDOWS 8 (NOT W8.1).It has the ivy bridge HM77 express chipset,the i7 quadcore 3630QM CPU @2.4GHz and the manufacturers model # is 736b4G1T.The motherboard("MoBo" to the really cool) is VA50_HC_CR.My V3 has the UEFI that

you were posting about not having on ur V3.the BIOS vers i have is Bios Vers2.13 and the SMBIOS is vers2.7.When i went to the Acer support site looking for BIOS upgrade the vers2.21 was listed as the recommended upgrade ; so i did the 2.21 upgrade

and......................

..............................................6 HOURS LATER i was still doing the final tweeks to reinstalling EVERYTHING including

the ".1" windows upgrade.Using the "REFRESH" function thru the troubleshootung blue screen of death event helped me to

salvage the pc from what could have been terminal.A relatively happy ending.

Anecdotelly, the UEFI excludes any 'clocking" of the bios or any other 'tweaking' but i'm sure there is gains to the system

from having the UEFI.Maybe the UEFI system is still in Somewhat of a "beta" stage.To be honest i was researching for a

possible bios downgrade to a non UEFI with a view to a more 'tweakable' bios and i saw there was a bios V1.13 listed

in the acer recommendations for my model V3 but after the V2.21 attrocity,i think i'll leave things as they are <3.

V3's rock

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019

This is a late answer I know but there are a few threads on here, that are not correct. This is to clear any misconceptions "that you "CAN'T" flash the BIOS Legacy to BIOS UEFI" because you "CAN" e.g. from the Legacy 1.13 BIOS" which is an MBR format to the v2.21 UEFI GPT format for the BIOSs of the Aspire V3-571G. I've done this on my Acer Aspire V3 571G 73614G75 Makk / i7-3610QM /NVIDIA GT640M and it works 100% and perfectly, please follow the instructions carefully.

These are the two latest Acer V3-571G BIOSs, which are: 
    1. The Legacy MBR BIOS: Date: 2012/10/22 / Version: 1.13 Vendor: Acer / Size: 3.8 MB and 
    2. The UEFI GPT BIOS: Date: 2014/01/27 / Version: 2.21 / Vendor: Acer  / Size: 4.0 MB

Its highly recommended that you reinstall either Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 64bit as UEFI is a GPT format which is completely different to Legacy MBR, if you "DONT" reinstall Windows then, the "Boot Mode" UEFI will be disabled in BIOS and your computer will function in Legacy MBR mode but, if you enable "Boot Mode" UEFI then, your system wont boot into your Legacy MBR format operating system. 
    See caption below of: "Clean Install of Windows 10 from old MBR to UEFI"

Warning:
    do this at your own risk, this is intended for tech experts and/or technicians or very experienced computer users, that have extensively changed/modified and flashed BIOSs and have a backup OEM bios recovery software and/or can reflash the failed BIOS chip. 
    BIOS chips do get old and deteriorate and can be prone to reflash failure(s) due to old age!

Here is the way to change the BIOS from Legacy MBR to UEFI GPT:

1. Un RAR or Zip the Acer BIOS UEFI v2.21 titled (BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) Update F2 function for the scenario "End-user shutdown and then power on the system based on Win8/Win8.1") win flash file name: Q5WV122.exe file to your desktop. 

2. You will need a  hex editor

3. In hex editor go to top right > File > Open  > Q5WV122.exe after opening this file

4. Go in hex editor to > Search > Find and type in: DisableSecureCapsuleFlash, which should have a value that =1

5. Change: the string to "DisableSecureCapsuleFlash=0"

6. Make a folder called Mod BIOS on the Desktop

7. Save modified BIOS Q5WV122.exe to that "Desktop folder" so you don’t get confused

8. Flash it normally with the modified Win flash file name: Q5WV122.exe

9. After rebooting into BIOS, you will find a new option in the BIOS “Boot” called “Boot Mode” Secure Boot: Legacy or UEFI (Disabled or Enabled)

Cheers and hope this helps all those that are confused and have any doubts about their Acer Aspire V3-571 Legacy MBR formatted laptop.

• ThankYouForUEFI
    ThankYouForUEFI Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you StevenGen

Hard to believe I could unveil UEFI on my old laptop that is now my sons

Thank you for bothering to reply to the post years later. The thread is discoverable via google and it helped me in 2020

I created an account on this website just to thank you for Hex tip for the BIOS update