aspire 5517 recovery help

Options
kyle808
kyle808 Member Posts: 5 New User

I am helping out a friend who wishes to reset his Aspire 5517 back to factory specs. I used the acer recovery tool to burn the 3 recovery DVDs. After booting up from the first DVD and transfering the needed files the cd tray opens and asks for Recovery Disk 2. When I close the tray and click ok the tray opens and asks me to insert Recovery Disk 2. Has anyone else come across this issue?

I also tried booting from a regular Windows 7 Home Premium install disk and I get an error asking for drivers and non of the downloadable drivers seem to work. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Which kind of drivers asked on installation?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kyle808
    Options

The windows installer asks me for the drivers for the DVD drive.

• IronFly
    Options

This is very strange, since DVD drive drivers are very basic and microsoft default.

• kyle808
    Options

That is what I thought. I am going to try and see if there is a way to bypass the hardware check. Right now installing using the official windows 7 disc is my only option because I can't boot up the machine to burn another set of recovery discs. I just find it very weird that the 2nd disk would not work at all.

• IronFly
    Options

if you have a friend with a PC or another PC at your home, you can make an USB bootable windows installation.

You just need to make an .iso file from the DVD or download the same version from some legal MS link and burn this .iso with MS USB/DVD tool:

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

• kyle808
    Options

That is what I am currently looking into right now. Will reply back if it works.

• kyle808
    Options

So I had to use another pc to make an official win 7 boot usb. Was able to reinstall 7 after all that.

This discussion has been closed.