Aspire E1-510 usb problems

Options
bogdancampian
bogdancampian Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi,

I have a problem with my Aspire E1-510: after it comes up from sleep mode, it doesn't recognize any USB drive nor the camera. In device manager there is no USB hub listed, not even an unknown device. If I reboot the system, everything is back to normal, all the USB's and the camera are working. I have even installed Windows 7 (it came with Windows 8 preinstalled), but it behaves the same.

Can anybody help me solve this problem?

Thank you,

Bogdan

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

bogdancampian,

I am sorry to hear that the USB ports are not working properly when resuming from hibernate or sleep. The problem sounds like Windows is not loading the drivers from sleep/hibernate or they are crashing.

You may want to try going into device manager and disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the Power Management properties of your USB Root Hub.

If this does not resolve the problem, please contact technical support in your region for further assistance.

• bogdancampian
    Options

Hi,

I have disabled the option to power off the USB Root Hub and the hybernate option but that doesnt solved the problem. If the computer enters in sleep mode, after resuming the USB's disapear.

I have installed Ubuntu on that notebook and all the problems have gone away. The USB's and camera are perfectly working. So indeed is a problem with windows drivers but no drivers found on the internet, nor with Windows8.1, nor with Windows7 could solve the problem.

If anybody have a working driver for this laptop, please send it to me. Don't tell me to download it from the official Acer page, they are not working.

• bogdancampian
    Options

After a lot of tests and tries I have finally made the USB's working by disabling xHCD support from BIOS.

Turning off a feature just to make a computer component working isn't a solution but this is the best I can do.

I also have to add that the Acer's customer service expereince was disastrous. This notebook was bought in Italy and used in Romania...so the Italy support didn't want to offer assistance in english, those in UK said that they are offering informations only for UK, North Ireland and another contry (I don't remember which one) and in Romania there is no remote tech support....the only way to contact romanian Acer representatives would be to send the device to them for investigation!!!!!

It was an incredibly annoying experience and I am sure that this is the first and the last time when I spent money for an Acer product.

• matzen
    matzen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi!  I have the same problem!  I have a question: What are the consecuences of disabling xHCD support in BIOS?  Would I still be able to use USB 3.0? Something else?  Also, my System BIOS is v2.11 / VGA BIOS Intel V1011, and I can´t find that option, I just have the option to disable XHCI Support, Under Main menu.  Thank you for your answers!

EDIT: Just to confirm, I disabled xHC"D", that was present on my BIOS, and now USBs are working after hibernation.  Shame that we seem to loose USB 3.0!