Acer Aspire 5742 rebooting contineously

Options
Willem90
Willem90 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys,

I just registered here today because I got this weird problem with my computer, but no solution.

I own an Acer Aspire 5742, model no. PEW71. It is running on Windows 7. I included a vid for you to see what the problem is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tgabkf83kbg5lm/20140902_143504.mp4?dl=0

So, as you can see, the computer can be turned on, but it doesn't get through the acer screen on to the windows picture, and it automatically reboots and shuts itself down again over and over again. This has happened in the past, but the repairers have reset the operating system and BIOS. They also switched the hard disk for a new one, but this could be because of some other problems I was having (USB channels weren't working). Everything worked fine for a month or so, and then it happened again. I myself am thinking about the motherboard being damaged.

When this happened in the past however, I was still able to turn on my PC sometimes, so I was also able to save my files. Now on the other hand, I can't get the computer on anymore. I really hope you guys have a solution. The most important thing to me is saving the files. After that, I'll take it away for reparation again, where they will probably delete everything again (I can't commicate with the repairers myself, so I can't discuss terms or anything).

Edit: at the end of the vid you can see me turning off the computer by pulling out the adapter. Removing both the adapter and accu is the only way the computer can be turned off. Even shutting it down by pushing the on/off button for 5 seconds will not prevent the auto re-boot.

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello Willem90,

The best solution to copy your files, it's to buy an external enclosure for HDD 2.5" (example).

I hope your HDD is not defective.

France
  • EEuk
    EEuk Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Hi,

did you get a fix for this problem, I've got exactly the same thing having replaced the hard drive with a new SSD (

Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive).

First time I changed the drive I managed to install windows from scratch and had started putting drivers on when it crashed and went into the reboot cycle you show in your video.

I assumed initially I'd put some dodgy drivers on so put the old disk back in - worked fine.

I did a quick format of the SSD drive - having removed it from the laptop and put it into a USB caddy.

And then tried again - switched the harddrives, booted from a USB, installed windows and at the next reboot it got stuck into the same loop.

any ideas what I'm doing wrong or how to debug?

• Willem90
    Willem90 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you... I still had an insurance running, so I let them think of a fix, and they figured the cheapest way for them to get rid of the problem was giving me a brandnew +400 euro laptop.