Windows Product Key

Options
WestMichigan
WestMichigan Member Posts: 12 New User

I know the product key is embedded in the motherboard and I supposedly do not neet one.  My Windows 8 became corrupted and after unsuccessfully trying to restore from the hidden partition I spent $20 to get the recovery media.  Now when I start Windows it says I need a valid product key.  I can't get one because Acer doesn't send out product keys since they are embedded in the system.  So my question is how do I get Windows to recognize that I don't need a product key?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi...

The OEM version of windows does not prompt for a product key, you may try using  the following steps to activate your copy of Windows 8:

Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + C, or swipe in from the right edge of the screen to open your Charms.
    Seect Settings.
    Click on Change PC settings.
    Select Activate Windows on the left.
    NOTE If this option is not available, your version of Windows is already activated.
    Follow the instructions on the screen to activate Windows.

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat

If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi WestMichigan,

First, you're correct the Windows key is injecting into the motherboard (this only applies to systems that shipped with Windows 8+).

The recovery media should not be asking for a product key, it's just going to install the OS. What would happen then is that if the key is not available in the MB the system will not activate Windows causing you an issue. At what point in the installation is it asking for a key?

Cory

• WestMichigan
    Options

Acer-Cory - I get all the way through installation and then it reboots and starts Windows.  After going through all of the Windows configuration that happens the first time you run Windows 8 it says that my version of Windows needs activated.  When I click on activate it takes me to the activation screen and says my product key isn't valid and I have to enter a valid product key.  If I ignore this and try to run windows everything seems fine until I try to update Windows.  It gets to the end of the update cycle and then says I don't have a valid version of Windows and it undoes all of the changes.  There is an option on the activation screen to purchase a key from Microsoft.  That is $99 for something I already own but can't properly activate.

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Alright, good, so the install process is not asking for a key to continue and that is what I would expect.

Generally, this happens when the product key is being flagged by Microsoft, usually it will giving you a code at the bottom like Ox00000000FC (I just made that up). You should also have the option to register by phone. This is an automated process and not the same as calling Microsoft for support.

Here's an article on activating by phone: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29281

Cory

• WestMichigan
    Options

Acer-Cory I tried what you said and on the page where you are able to activate Windows there is no option to contact Microsoft or register by phone or anything like that.  The only option is to purchase a new key.  I didn't see any code on the screen either.  All I get is the product activation key is not valid and it shows XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-YYYYY where YYYYY is the last 5 digits of what it thinks my activation key is.

• WestMichigan
    Options

Someone out there has to know how to get to the product activation key that is stored in the BIOS.  Anyone know how to get it?  If I at least had a key maybe Microsoft could tell me why it can't be activated.

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Sorry WestMichigan, I didn't see your last response.

Can you go to your system screen and provide us with a screenshot? Something's not right, and trying to activate through the modern UI might be different.

Here's what I see my Windows 8 tablet, obviously at the bottom where it says that mines is activated, it should say that yours isn't.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4l1ICJkt55KblIyTmxVWkFuVG8/edit?usp=sharing

Cory

• WestMichigan
    Options
  • WestMichigan
    Options

acer.png

I hope this is what you need

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Yup, what happens when you go into View Details in Windows Activation?

• WestMichigan
    Options

acer2.png

The error code is something I haven't seen before.  Is there something that can be done on your end or is it a Microsoft question?  I am not sure why it is blocked.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    WestMichigan, what's your desktop model?
    Have you checked if any BIOS update is available?

The blocked message is Microsoft side not Acer.
    Sometimes updating BIOS can solve, if not, you need a new key.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cory-Acer
    Options

So a BIOS update if available is something you should attempt.

After that, you can:

1. Go to Run (Windows Key + X to select).
    2. In the command screen type: slui.exe 4
    3. It should have you select a country and then a register by phone option.

Follow those instructions and MS may be able to reactivate your key for you.

Cory

• WestMichigan
    Options

The latest BIOS for my computer is dated 9/2/2013.  I bought it in December 2013.  Not likely to be the problem.  What is an easy way to check my BIOS version to make sure it is up to date?

• Cory-Acer
    Options

You can check at http://us.acer.com under support -> Drivers and Manuals and any BIOS updates will be listed under your unit.

Cory

• WestMichigan
    Options

BIOS upgrade did nothing.  I did find a program online that will ready the key from BIOS.  When I called Microsoft they said I had to get a new key from the manufacturer because my key has been abused.  How do I go about getting a new key?

• Cory-Acer
    Options

I'm not sure how they determine that it has been abused, and we've had many customers with the ...4C003 error that were able to activate by phone. Unfortunately, Acer would not be able to provide a second license for your notebook free of charge.

• WestMichigan
    Options

Acer and everyone else is unwilling to do anything to help the consumer.  It is all about the $$ and not about the customer.  It used to be the customer is right, now it is the bottom line.  The person who follows the rules is out of luck while the cheater is rewarded.  Give each customer a unique code and this won't happen.  Skip the volume licensing crud and then you will know who the rightful owner of each code is.  I have done nothing wrong.  I just had to reinstall windows and that is going to cost me $100.  If I never reinstalled then my activation key would be just fine.

• Alan-London
    Options

Whilst this is clearly frustrating, it should be remembered that the Win8 licencing mechanism is one imposed by Microsoft. It has nothing to do with Acer. OEM's are all constrained by this and Microsoft will tell you if you wish to supply Win8 then you must comply. It is non-negotiable.
    FWIW, the key is not held in the BIOS (it is in EEPROM) and consequently there is no point flashing the BIOS in the hope that this will provide a cure. I would contact Microsoft again as, if your key really had been blacklisted, then surely all Acer machines running Win8 would fail validation which is not happening.
    Failing that, your only solution may be to seek Acer service.

• WestMichigan
    Options

Trust me, I know Microsoft has imposed this rule on the manufacturers and I have let them hear about it also.  There is simply no reason this should happen.  If it weren't for the fact that my daughter has a vision problem and she has some software that will only run on Windows I would considered ditching Windows altogether at this point, but that isn't an option.

This discussion has been closed.