New touchpad for Acer Aspire E1-731-4699?

Options
discgolfdc
discgolfdc Member Posts: 28 New User

Hi, all.

I have two Acer Aspire E1-731-4699s (both running Win7 Ultimate x64), and I understand that this model typically ships with a touchpad from one of three manufacturers - ALPS, Elan, or Synaptics.

One of my laptops has an Elan touchpad, and the other has an ALPS.

My laptop with the Elan touchpad seems to operate relatively normally, while the one with the ALPS touchpad is horrifically oversensitive to anything.  I mean, a fly buzzing around my room could carry my pointer halfway across the screen, if you know what I mean.  I have tried tweaking the settings in the ALPS driver, including setting delays post-keypress, and the only option that seems to have worked in the long term is completely disabling the tapping function of the touchpad.

I can't imagine that swapping out the touchpad for one from a different manufacturer would be a horrific job, but I suspect that it involves replacing the whole top portion of the keyboard casing, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  I'd like to see if I can get both of my laptops working similarly to each other -- more like the Elan than the ALPS!

I've had relatively good experience with Synaptics, as well, so, again, I don't care if it's Elan or Synaptics -- I just would like to get rid of this ALPS touchpad that makes my computing life a bit of a pain.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.