screen message. Failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes.

Options
pricemob
pricemob Member Posts: 2 New User

After I did a windows update I have been getting the above message for a long time. It goes onto restarting and back to the original message. It is an Acer E1-571. Have switched off and on but it just goes back to the same message. Can't get it to boot up. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Answers

• ripsnorter
    ripsnorter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I just purchased a new Aspire V5-572P and ran Windows Update in prep for upgrading it from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and came across the same issue as you "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer". I'm waiting for it to finish reverting its changes and then I'll check the Windows Update log to try and find the offending update and I'll either run it by itself or everything but it. Hopefully that works. Would be interested in an official Acer response though.
  • pricemob
    pricemob Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I was so pleased that everything came back on that I am not touching it again!   I don't need Windows 8.1 that badly.

• ripsnorter
    ripsnorter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    FYI, I managed to get my updates installed - not sure what the issue was... I updated the BIOS and then I just installed one security update (was successful) and then I ran the Internet Explorer update - but weirdly instead of just installing the Internet Explorer update, it installed all of the previously failed updates - crazy. As advised on the Acer page http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/update-to-windows81 I then removed the Intel display drivers and installed Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store. Note, I also ran this program http://lifehacker.com/decrap-uninstalls-all-the-bloatware-on-your-new-pc-auto-1469611234 to get rid of pre-installed bloatware (I'm not associated with them, just found it useful) - hope this info helps someone else.
This discussion has been closed.