Aspire E15 - how to upgrade RAM?

Options
2»

Answers

• perry4711
    perry4711 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options

Apart from the fact that PC3-10600 is 1333 MHz (which is still what my dealer recommended), I see now that Kingston and Corsair recommend low voltage (1.35 V) modules, while the one I put in is 1.5 V. Maybe this is the problem.

They also seem to claim that 16 GB are supported, while my dealer said 8 GB. Has somebody put in 8 GB modules successfully?

• jjmIII
    jjmIII Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Perry,

I never tried 16gb because I have no need for that much memory, but the chipset does support it.

The 4gb stick in mine (and likely yours) is DDR3L 1.35V Cas 11.

I'm looking at this stick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231697&ignorebbr=1

Even though this stick is lower Cas (faster) for less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231695&ignorebbr=1

I don't want to chance it and really want 1.35V 1600 DDR3L Cas 11.

• oberon567
    oberon567 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

derrill, what RAM did you use? You seem to have successfully upgraded the RAM in two machines... also, what is the exact model(s) you upgraded?

All of the spec sheets say it should take PC1600 RAM, and support up to 16gb. Kingston is a good brand, no idea why it wouldnt work.

Whether it is DDR3 or DDR3l shouldnt make a difference, any board that supports 3L should support 3. And in the same way, even though PC1333 is slower any board that supports PC1600 should be backwards compatible with PC1333...

• jjmIII
    jjmIII Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, it "should" support almost any DDR3. I think the bios is set at 1.35V and it stays there no matter what you put in the slot. That is just a guess.

My stick was pulled from a working laptop, but this Acer won't run it.