how to charge the W4 820 tablet while data transfer is going on with usb ?

Options
2»

Answers

• hkstiong
    hkstiong Member Posts: 21 New User
    Options

SteveR1 wrote:

Mojojojo and arijitbanerjee,

Please please write up your experiences with the cable you ordered from Pabbos. It looks good from the link in that it has a picture of the Acer W4 charging with USB hub and devices attached! The English translation doesn't make too much sense but I believe that it is talking about a specific sequence you need to plug in the ports and chargers. We should be able to figure that out and post here in clear instructions.

This could be a game changer for this tablet if it works reliably, even if it's a bit fussy about plug in sequence. Even a slow charge or maintain charge would be fine.

Anyone who hasn't clicked the Pabbos link should have a look - this cable has a built in 4 port USB hub with micro USB male at one end for tablet and full USB male at the other end for charger. Noted as working for Acer W4 (scroll further down) and also many mobile phones (eg Galaxies), so this could have multi uses for some purchasers. It has a 3 position switch to support the needs of different devices, presumably linked to shorted wires etc.

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi 

Mojojojo and arijitbanerjee,

Do tell us more about your Pabbos cable purchase for the W4.  It would help many w4 owners.

Thanks!

• mojojojo
    mojojojo Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I too have recieved the cable and confirm that it works.

There is an on/off switch for the USB on the cable and you have to follow this sequence for it to work properly:

1. USB switch should be off intially. Connect cable to the adapter and then to the W4. It should start charging now.
    2. Turn on the tablet if it's not already.
    3. Turn on the switch on the cable. The tablet should detect the USB hub now and you can start using your usb devices whilst the W4 is charging.

I have to repeat the procedure occasionally for the USB hub to be detected  but other than that it works well.

A word on where how I managed to purchase the cable. With some research, I realised that Pabbos is one of the many unofficial Taobao forwarders online. They had problems processing my credit card, so I got the cable from another fowarder Yoybuy instead.

They accept paypal, which made me feel a little bit more at ease, and have a few shipping options depending on how long you are willing to wait. Cut and paste the link from the original Taobao listing onto the yoybuy search bar and then go on from there.

• hkstiong
    hkstiong Member Posts: 21 New User
    Options

Hi 

Great to know it works!  This should allow a desktop future should replacing the battery prove uneconomical!  

I was able to order the cable from Pabbos.  Your lead may be better using Paypal.

Will update using the cable when it arrives.

• murielc
    murielc Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Hello,

If you would tell me please the black end of your Y cable USB2HAUBY3, is it plugged into a USB hub?  I just purchased one of these cables but not sure as whether or not I should use it.   The problem is that the little hub I have would only be connected through one of the female USB output ports.  The USB connection (on the hub) to connect to the tablet (W4) is a male end and so is the connection on the cable so only other way would be to connect the cable to one of the female USB ports on the hub. Seems to me that the power would be going through the hub backwards.  Do you know if this is okay to use this way?

Sorry if the above is confusing but, I am not very electronic educated.  I have been quite ill and purchased this tablet about a month ago, to have something light to carry upstairs when I need to go to bed and for when I am in the hosp.  Now I am beginning to wish I had left it right where it was.  I have yet to make a recovery disc.  Everytime I think I finally have everything to make a recovery disk eg. OTG cable, USB hub, 16G flash drive, mouse and stylus (because the little wee buttons are too hard to hit) and when I tryed the other day got a message that said plug the tablet in so I had to send for a Y cable and wait for that to come.  That was after trying for days to find the users manual.   Soooo getting pretty frustrated.  Thank goodness for people like you and all the rest on this forum, I have been reading here for days and although I am pretty computer illerate I have learned alot.  Acer could of made things alot easier for people like me by adding a users manual and/or disc for recovery in the package, as it is the users manual is not very in depth.

Thanks for your time, Muriel